Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
SS-Zero, any interest?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: SS-Zero, any interest? Reply with quote

Seeing as how the Germans got their huge gas bag, any interest in seeing Mossies model in FS-WWI any time soon? I'm not sure how we can model true gas bags as they do not have a solid frame supporting them... Shocked

Or perhaps I should start work on the Ca.33 cockpit and crew next after the Zeppelin L-11 is finished off? Still much to do however with that and no skinner has taken her up yet. Sad

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are curious about what an SS-Zero is...

It's a three-man semi-rigid British airship, primarily used it seems for ASW work. There were quite a few of them made, quite a few, and it was considered a great success...

Perhaps what you could do with this one, ArgonV, is to do something similar to the Zep with that one framework 'keel' that lines the bottom of this thing from nose to tail. It's kind of like a rib that goes the other way...

Now, what SHOULD you do? I dunno... We could do some missions with this thing hunting submarines, and maybe as a trial over the Somme (boy, I'd hate to crew THIS thing THERE!!!)... There IS a certain amount of... justice, or completeness to the collection... But it doesn't have the same aura, or the same potential for missions as the Zeppelin airship does...

That skinner problem is daunting... I note that it's a huge issue in the OFP community as well. I'm starting to poke around with the GIMP now... Embarassed

To learn about this airship, I went no further than Mossie's website, by the way. An excellent resource!

WingChaps

Last edited by WingChaps on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points. Smile I'm tempted to hold off on Mossies offer for now until we get the remaining few aircraft of the current plane set finished and polished off.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the next cool model of his is the Sopwith Baby... That would increase the Sopwith selection, give another Allied floatplane, and add to the early war lineup to boot! But yeah, your plate's pretty full...
FlyXwire
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
I'm tempted to hold off on Mossies offer for now until we get the remaining few aircraft of the current plane set finished and polished off.

Estimating it probably averages 75 hrs. minimum to texture one of these models (thru past experience), you've got to realize that when you accept a new model, or plan on revamping another you're planning for an awlful big commitment from one of us skinners!

I'd like to see us pursue a different approach altogether, such as a project like "Isonzo", which would utilize many of the aircraft we already have, requiring only roundel/insignia changes, and some minor modeling work on the Alb. D.III to convert it into an Oefag 153/253. Along with a revamping of the Rhineland map, we could have a whole new Front to experience........perhaps even laying the foundation for a completely new PACKAGE for SDOE in fact!!!

As things stand right now there's lots of open ends and new projects being contemplated for FS-WWI, and I'm just wondering who you plan on texturing all these wonderful things?

Remember, this isn't some corporate structure that moves into motion by orders from above, and as I have become more than aware of lately, we're to do things because we "want to", not because we "need to"!

So, while we wait for new PC purchases, and for workloads to decrease, I guess there's plenty of time for further contemplation, and maybe even some consensus building..............maybe even some open planning!

In the meantime I'll keep busy promoting FS-WWI online....................actually having fun playing this sim now, instead of always feeling I have to work on it instead! Wink
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya FlyXwire but there are not as many open ends as you seem to think there are. 75% of the open ends were knocked out with Plane Pack 4. The Zeppelin is one of the current open ends I am knocking out right now. Currently I don't want to spend my time or anyone elses right now making more open ends which is why at this point I will not persue the "Isonzo" project or the SS-Zero. I still just do not see all these open ends you speak of (But have yet to specifically name) other than what's on the to-do list (You've seen that right? Not that big is it?)

Skinning is only half of the work when it comes to revamping an aircraft. Thus far I have spent roughly 5 hours a day for the past 2 weeks straight working on the Zeppelin plus even more time juggling other things like the Dover repaint, Somme repaint 2 and trying to keep our files tidy for everyone to download so we can have a good time off and on-line not to mention Help and Support for those trying to get up and running. (Not just on the board but thru e-mails and IMs as well) Lots of behind the scenes stuff...

On-line is good! This will attract more players and modders. Big Grin

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: