Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
So a new beginning dawns for FS-WWI?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I can't believe we're still discussing this...

I reckon you guys are free to speculate about which airplanes you'd like to see that we don't have, but you need to understand whether or not a modeller makes one is totally up to that modeller. He is a volunteer.

In fact, I'm not going to offer a suggestion because no modeller has asked my input. I'm also not going to because I know that most likely they will work best the happier they feel. The LAST thing I want to do is piss one off, it's just wrong and also we may lose another modeller. I think we ought to back off! I'm quite happy with what they're offering.

The only thing I'm comfortable discussing are the campaigns I write. Therefore, with that in mind, I offer the following:

The 1914/1915 Packs are nearly done. There are two campaigns, English/German and French/German, featuring aircraft of those years. Not that many more missions to do, sort out some Archi issues, and it will be released.

After that, what next?

1917 Campaigns, roughly 60 missions, 2 flavors. I want to see how the proposed new Alb 2-seater comes, but the Walfisch we already have... 1918 will come later.

Italian/Austrian Campaign, roughly 24 missions, using Rhineland and Bavaria to stand in for terrain from the region. We have the Caproni, Ansaldo for the Italians, and some foreign aircraft they used... For the Austrio-Hungarians at least we have the Alb DIII.

Mud-Mover III, a mini-campaign roughly 20 missions in the 0/400, because I'm enthused regarding the aircraft and the info I found out about it.

Zeppelin, a campaign featuring this big boy. She will be featured in the 1914/1915 Packs, and is in the 1916 Packs, as well as the Naval Sopwith Pup.

Mud-Mover I and II, featuring the Be2c and Bristol F2b respectively. Prequels to Mud-Mover III.

You'll note that I like campaigns. I have ever since the Red Baron games.

I offer these, and am interested in feedback. In fact, I share it as they interest me, and your feedback may inspire me, might even lead me to adjust my goals. I suspect a modeller feels much the same way. But understand this, I'll do these as long as it's fun for me to do them... If a project does not interest me, I won't do it. Not to be oppositional, but the process of creating requires some positive feelings. If I feel like I'm boxed in, it'll kill the joy of creating quicker than anything I can imagine.

This is a HOBBY, don't make it seem like work! I do the hobby to recover from work!

WingChaps
Mossie
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago, and it was a long time ago, Aug 03. I came across this group....you know who you are...who were building something no one else had, a working functional WWI mod.

I started to work with ArgonV and Recon3 to try and understand how to get an aircraft into the game. After much frustration, and loads of help and patience from both Argon and Recon, I stopped wasting their time, not mine. I continued to build models and improve my skill so that I could have another go later on.

As time went on, I came across a new group the Targetware "Target:Flanders", again doing WWI. A study of the developers guide, not complete by any streach, and I was getting models in the game all by myself, yes I did have help but it didn't take months to do and I didn't loose any more hair during the proecess. I accept that the time different between these two platfoms is great, and while SODE is mature, TW will offer a lot more in time. How long I don't know.

During the time with TW, I've kept a watching eye on SODE ready to offer my models when the need arose, as it did with the Zeppelin. I'm as pleased as punch to see it in game after nearly 18 months. (Yes, Nov 03 was when it was first proposed). But like all community efforts it has taken considerable effort by a number of people to get it there. This is my point, people who can work together for a common or shared objective will succeed. You guys have proven that thus far.

I'm still more then happy to provide you aircraft, even ones off a list, if it was available, I just love to make them and see them in game. If the ones you need are the same as RS's then that is fine it will go up the priority list.

So I'm here I've never gone away, but watching. However, don't expect six aircraft a month either. I have a lot of work already in the shop and could slip in another one later, once the Alb C.VII cockpit is complete. I normally paint my own cockpits. Unless FlyXwire is offering.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm playing and will continue to do so. Just don't expect me to get the model into the game, not my skill set.

I'll shut up now.
FlyXwire
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to mull this all over in my mind...........

Some say we should build or texture or code only what we want.

Some say we need to get older planes/textures/coding up to standards.

Some say there's important planes we've needed, but have never built.

Now what is the rationality for making all this work?

So how do we get planes built we think we need?

How do we finish up older models and textures that we want brought up to standard, when newer models arrive to compete with priorities and resources that other people want?

How do we get new models textured that no one else wants to paint?

I'm going to mull this all over in my mind..........

So how is each of us suppose to be doing only what he wants, and somehow come together and accomplish things that require a team effort?

So how are priorities to be fullfilled if there's no rationale for bringing individual wants into collective action?

So how can I find my way out of this dead end, because I'm trying to think like other people, or should I not even care and just do what I want?

I'm not going to mull this over in my mind...........

"I'll shut up now."
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHH!! A lot of info and thought to read over... I'll be back. Big Grin

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Masked-Modeller
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..'Some say we should build or texture or code only what we want.
'

'I' say I am going to build and texture what I choose. I have not said that is the best way for everyone to proceed, I am stating a fact. I have limited leisure time to devote to this, and I will find it easier to devote time to building something that interests me...and a 'chore' will just find me doing other things and the plane will not get finished. Thats a fact. If anyone wishes to object, or considers that to be a selfish or unhelpful attitude..please say so. I am being realistic and stating my position clearly so there will be no confusion later on. I am experienced enough at this game to be under no illusion on that score.

I am here to help out, but I am not using my 'old' name for a good reason. I got treated like dirt and suffered some VERY personal attacks from certain members of this community in the past. I don't forget the bad times and I will not allow such opportunities to occur again....but there are still some good guys here who I think could use some help. But... I do so as an independent.

The dig about working for money was meant to highlight certain points. I was ALREADY seeing the seperation between 'person' and 'skill'. The assumption that a group decision to model a plane would result in me going away and building it. Thats not for me. Sorry.I build for pleasure, and any attempt to harness me to the wishes of the team will result in a parting of the ways. I have made it clear HOW to get the planes you want.... and that is something that anyone can help with. Get 3 views. Get detail shots. Get cockpits images. That is damn hard work, but it will greatly increase the chances of getting someone to build it. I am offering the work for you to use... the price of that work is help is research and data. I am not, however, a community asset.

Additionally....the 'blah blah' comment was meant as a dig....and as a direct response to my taking exception to effectively having my offer of a Hp 0/400 thrown back in my face due to it's historical record. If you take it in context...I am making a point. If you take it out of context, well...thats out of my control.

To be honest, I did not expect that kind of a response...... especially since you are short on modellers ( as you have always been.... ) and frankly, could use some help. Anyway.... my cards are on the table.

Work on the Hp 0/400 continues. What I build next is also not open to debate or discussion. You will see it when it is done....and again, I am building it because I have always wanted to and I think it presents some fairly interesting modelling challenges.

If you want bread and butter modellers....I have offered to teach. I will happily take on an 'apprentice' and teach them what they need to know...provide them with the tools, and equip them with the skills they will need. All they need to do is provide the desire to learn. This is not an offer I make lightly.

and lastly.....
Quote:

So how is each of us suppose to be doing only what he wants, and somehow come together and accomplish things that require a team effort?

I think that is Argons task..... and always has been. It's why mods without leaders are doomed to failure. Encourage, pursuade, inspire ....
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is my task. And thus far I think I've done a pretty damn good job! Cool We are leaps and bounds more organized, more polished and more bug free than anything else SDOE has to offer at the moment.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: