Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
What would you all say to a British heavy bomber?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Wink

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FlyXwire
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!!

No one is angry here either, more frustrated by the lack of communication actually.

Now that WTG is back modeling planes in some capacity for us (which is the best FS-WWI news I've heard in years), we can ask him directly if he would think about doing some of the essential 2-seaters we've been lacking forever!

Is WTG going to join us here in the Developer's forum for a discussion of future build projects, or does he want to remain incognito, and wait for us to contact him by e-mail only?

Does this mean we have the green-light Argon to start an open process of what we think we need in FS-WWI now, and if so, I'd suggest the first question would be to ask how many aircraft models might WTG contemplate doing for us?

Lastly, if I can convince John to put the Handley Page on the shelf for now, and instead go great guns on the DH 4, or maybe even an RE 8, will this be accepted without YOU guys getting angry!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Remember, I can make one hell of a persuasive argument, and WTG and I have always worked together smashingly, so are you guys willing to open up the process here and now?

Last chance to put the Genie back in the bottle Argon. Wink
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said this was WTG's doing... Laugh

You guys have always had the opportunity to request whatever you want. Having the people with the talent to make it so is a completely different story! Poke Tounge

The modeler made an open request for 3-views so I would suggest you jump at that! Try to convice him all you like to do whatever you feel we need. Wink I still want a 0/400!!!! Big Grin Cool

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Personally I like the 0/400 more than the D.H.4. It's got lots of guns and a load of pickles to boot! Just my type of WWI ride. Wink

ArgonV wrote:
I still want a 0/400!!!! Big Grin Cool

Yeah, I'm happy as long as our Mystery Modeller is happy... And, YEAH, I still want the 0/400 too! He's bellying up to the bar in a big way, though, we may end up having our cake and eating it too!

Now, on the subject of 0/400s, a few links:

http://www.rcaf.com/1914_1938_formation/aircraft/bombers/o100/

http://www.geocities.com/roynagl/handleypage.htm#400

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/subject_20890.asp

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/nickname.html

http://www.battlefield1918.de/history/260

http://www.wwi-models.org/IM/British/hp_0-400.html

I particularly got a kick out of the 1,650 lb ( kg) "Blockbuster" bombs (and the Germans may have, too!), and the nickname of the aircraft being "Bloody Paraliser"! Laugh The "Blockbuster" bombs were carried singly, of course, and were at least dropped on a rail yard. Of the bomb load "The internal bomb bay could carry eight 250-pound (93.3099 kg) bombs or sixteen 112-pound (41.8088 kg) bombs, and one 1,650-pound (615.846 kg) bomb could also be carried, externally." Take that with the gun positions being typically dual MGs, and the fact her wings folded, and she's an interesting aircraft. Indeed, just as 'Xerox' has become synonymous wth copying and 'coke' for carbonated drinks, the English tended to call heavy bombers 'Handley-Pages' for years after WWI!

WingChaps
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about cake and eating. Cool

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modeler informs me that he is at about 75% model completion right now so he has no desire to stop when he's this close to finishing it up.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that guy... Smile
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how's this for a squadron? Presenting 207 Squadron

The first British squadron used solely for long-range night bombing, and the first to operate Handley Page bombers, No. 207 Squadron had its origin in "B" Squadron of No 4 Wing of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), which was formed at Eastchurch, Kent, in August 1915. It crossed to Petite Synthe, France, in April 1916, and in November became No. 7 Squadron RNAS. Its duties originally consisted of fighting and day- and night-bombing for which it was equipped with Nieuport two-seaters, Sopwith 11/2-Strutters, Caudron G4 twin-engined bombers and Short single-engined bombers.

At the beginning of April 1917, by which time the Nieuports and Caudrons had been disposed of, No. 7 (Naval) Squadron moved to Coudekerque and amalgamated with a RNAS Handley Page 0/100 unit which was being formed there, but retained it's title. About the same time the 11/2-Strutters were handed to another squadron, leaving No. 7 (Naval) Squadron with a mixture of Shorts and 0/100s which it operated until June when the Shorts were retired. During April and May the squadron made a series of night raids on Ostend as part of the counter-bombing offensive against the increased activity of German seaplane units at Ostend and Zeebrugge. In addition to night bombing, its 01/00s flew daylight coastal patrols against the German Fleet. The squadron also played a valuable part, in the summer of 1917, in the counter-measures against German air bases from which the daylight raids on England originated. During August and September 1917, it attacked enemy rail centres and dumps to interrupt the transport of reserves and munitions to the Ypres sector.

One flight of No. 7 (Naval) Squadron crossed to England early in September 1917, and flew inshore anti-submarine patrols off the North Yorkshire coast from Redcar. After about a month this flight moved to Manston where it formed the nucleus of "A" Squadron, which later became No. 16 (Naval) Squadron and, later still, No. 216 Squadron, RAF.

The remainder of the squadron's operational echelon continued work and, in company with No. 7A Squadron, bombed Antwerp and Hoboken and attempted to bomb Cologne.

When the RAF was formed on 1st April 1918, the squadron became No. 207 Squadron and, later in the month, returned to England where it was re-equipped with ten Handley Page 0/400s. Early in June it went back to France - to Ligescourt, near Abbeville.

In the closing months of the war the squadron was employed on night bombing, principally against railway centres. With the Allied advance it moved forward to Estrées-en-Chaussée in late October 1918, and the night before the Armistice six of its 0/400s dropped four tons of bombs on Namur railway station. In all, in World War 1, its aircraft flew on 120 raids and dropped 587 tons of bombs.

(all text, and the seal, from http://www.raf.mod.uk/squadrons/h207.html)

I have to smile at the seal, 'Semper Paratus' is used also by the United States Coast Guard, Always Prepared!

WingChaps

Last edited by WingChaps on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
V67th_HBomb
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He Who Shall Be Nameless For Now

Would this be the same person who "might have a surprise for us in a couple of months"? and the same person who has just registered as "Mysterious Modeller"? and the same person who built the He-111 in secrecy? Come oof it Argon ,we all know its WTG Wink Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V67th_HBomb wrote:
Come oof it Argon ,we all know its WTG Wink Twisted Evil

Heh, then again, it may be the perfect cover for the REAL one...

I scored a jackpot on 207 Squadron! At http://www.207squadron.rafinfo.org.uk/ww1/1918.htm I found the following:

Which has the caption: "This HP O/400 (A 1) of 207 Sqn flew from Andover to Ligescourt near Abbeville: note 1650lb bomb attached between undercarriage legs". Note also:

and the caption: "Officers of No.207 Squadron Royal Air Force, Ligescourt 29 Aug 1918 in front of a B Flight HP O/400: centre is Major G R Elliott, arrived as CO 8 Aug 1918: back: 2nd Lts Garratt, Stockdale, Wiltshire, Paton, Tremain, Hamilton: middle: Lts Semple, Reed: 2nd Lts Tweedie, Moth: front: Lts Cade, Pearson: Capt Millson, Maj Elliott: Lts Johnson, Roy, Harvey: mascots: [edited because I don't want to get blamed for this...] the cat and Carpenter the dog: identifications by Clive Semple (son of Lt Semple)".

Perhaps even more exciting about this page is the following grist for the mission-making mill: "The HP crews, though always gaining satisfaction from successful raids on factories, blast furnaces and the like, regarded their many raids on enemy airfields particularly satisfying. It fell to 207 Sqn to open the Handley Pages' 'account' for September 1918, when five HPs raided Marquion town and rail station on the 1st/2nd of the month. The last aircraft to attack was carrying 12 x 112lb bombs, but also 1080 Baby Incendiaries (BIs) in small containers. Making its initial run-in to the target at 4500 ft at 0235 hrs, all the 112lb bombs were seen to burst in a line across the town, but only a few BI cans were released, due to defective release gear". There is more to the story, but then you can go there to read it. Note the name of the town, prominent in our own preferred map!

I love it when a plan comes together... Poke Tounge

WingChaps
Hentzau
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to "shift F8" it. Wink
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another screenie!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) Any news? Laugh

B) I've been flying bombers some, finishing the 1914/1915 Packs, and I have a question about the bombsights...

1) Is it possible to make the bombsight come up right after the pilot's position, so that you can 'F7' 'F6' right to it and not lose control of the aircraft.

OR...

2) Would it be possible to set the bombsight as one of the views after 'F8', and would THIS be a preferable way to bomb?

Embarassed I'd like to be able to do level bombing missions and not have to rely on the AI to hit the target... Laugh

WingChaps
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is progressing nicely. Should have some updates soon!

The location of the bomb site depends where it's at on the aircraft tree actually and I have no way of moving it up or down after it's already added. Sad

To have it as a quick view is possible I think, I will check into it.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: