Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
10,000 RPM HD's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: 10,000 RPM HD's? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone here has one the 10,000 RPM Raptor HD's, or any other brand for that matter. I've heard that they halve boot times, and one guy said he loaded win XP pro from a formatted HD in 12 minutes! lol. I imagine load times for games is lightening fast as well with these. I'm still down in 7200 RPM land, but for a future upgrade I might go for the Western Digital Raptor 10K RPM SATA HD instead of another 512 mb of DDR. I never thought these HD's would make a huge difference over 7200RPM HD's but perhaps I'm wrong? ANyone have any experience with these?

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DDT
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 10K RPM drive back when I was running SCSI in my system. Was an LVD drive, and it wasn't all that fast.

Then again, it was only 9GB, and aerial density plays a factor in speed. For sequential reads they will be faster than a slower spinning drive of the same density, but only when the data is continuous and in roughly the same track.

For small reads scattered all over the place (as Windows is wont to do with it's files) it won't be any faster unless the seek time is faster, which it usually isn't. Defragging will only help make data contiguous, not continuous, so the heads will still need to be seeking, they just will do less on average.

Then there is the noise. You know when you have a 10K RPM drive in your system. I had 15 fans in my case at that time, and the drive was louder.

And the heat. Not sure about the IDE drives, but the SCSI drives got HOT. Like, too hot to touch, hot. That means you may need to rethink your cooling system as well depending on the case, other components and operating environment.

All in all, claims of ridiculous speed are either placebo effect, or carefully contructed tests. It's most useful in video streaming, but RAID will go a longer way in that case anyway. File servers that store large files can benefit from this kind of thing too. But in either of those cases, you want SCSI if money isn't an object.

.02 Smile
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice DDT. It seemed like the reviews I was reading about these 10K Raptor drives were way to good to be true. They almost seemed like fanboy's who did not list a single negative aspect of the product! I do not need more heat, or more noise then my 5 case fans currently produce either! Looks like I'll grab another 80 gig 7200 RPM Western Digital and set it up in a RAID if I go through with an HD upgrade.

=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DDT
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YW. Smile

If you want speed, go larger than 80GB. Look for a 250 or even 300. The greater the aerial density, the faster the data transfer because the higher the bit rate passing under the heads will be.

And if you RAID them, either get 3 and use RAID 5, or get 2 and mirror them. RAID 3 is more risky than 5, and 0 (striping without parity) is hideously risky. You get a larger virtual drive and more speed for certain operations, but if you loose 1 drive, you lose all the data on both. Backups become critical in that case. It's better to pay double for drive space (by getting 2 drives and setting up a mirror set) for the added security.

I've lost more data than I care to think about. Backing up a home system is impractical. I'll be using mirror sets from now to eternity. lol
Blind_Faith
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but raid 0 with 2 separate controlers is the fastest access look at this little slide show;

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

It is very easy to grasp the basic concepts of RAID and what should motivate the level you select. I have a liking for a mix like this: R0 for OS and swap space and R5 for critical data 2 controlers and 5 HDs. OS is very easy to rebuild from a complete backup and does not tend to change on a daily basis.
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDT, I was looking through the 200 - 300 gig HD's, right now that's out of my price range, but I saw that some of them had a 16mb buffer and the reviewers stated they were almost as fast as the 10K Raptors! Thanks for the RAID advice both of you and RAID tutorial Blind Faith, looks like it has some pretty good info.

=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
Smokey
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there an issue with disks comming apart at high RPM and injuring
people? I saw a MythBusters episode on this and they did get a cd to
blow can't remember at what RPM though.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah CDs and CD drives, but it would be pretty tough for a HD to come apart, go thru the HD enclosure and then thru your PC case. Wink

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mighty
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this link a coupla years ago. They do essentially the same thing that they did on Mythbusters. But they were more creative. Some pretty fun videos Smile

A CD-ROM can, conceivably, explode in today's high speed drives. It does happen occasionally. But they're so light weight that they shards won't make it out of the drive with any force. In fact, the end of that page talks about that actually happening.

Hard drives are made from stronger material and they're balanced very precisely. They're not going to fly apart. And even if they do, they'll stay inside the enclosure.
V67th_HBomb
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was about 10,000 RPM on Mythbusters. They fried the motor, too. Wink
V67th_HBomb
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit wont work... sorry i meant 100,000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: