Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
3D goggles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatsyTwo
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: 3D goggles? Reply with quote

A Merry post Christmas to y'all. If ignorance is bliss, I am currently very blissfull.

Got a really neat gift from Father Christmas (my sweet wife) - from eMagin, their model Z800 3D visor.

Does FS/SDOE support 3D display technology for game play?
What setting for display should be "checked-off"?

My current video card is based on Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT.

Any comments?

PatsyTwo Shocked
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap that thing looks amazing! I had never even heard of it before now, so I went to look it up expecting some kind of special 3D goggles like you'd find at a movie theater, but wow, this is like a virtual reality visor of sorts.

Seeing that its so new, SDOE probably doesn't have any built in support for it, but perhaps you should just give it a try and see what, if anything appears? Does it work on other games, or have you even tried it yet?

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vonBaur
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the games on the video looks like FS2004 and the website says Lock-On supports it. I'd also try IL-2, and cfs3, if you have any of them.

*edit*
FWIW, copied from the website, "Since the mouse emulator program runs in the background of other programs, the headtracker can be used with most software that uses continuous mouse movement to simulate head motion."

SALUTE TO ALL
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonBaur wrote:

FWIW, copied from the website, "Since the mouse emulator program runs in the background of other programs, the headtracker can be used with most software that uses continuous mouse movement to simulate head motion."

Good find, because you can enable mouse panning in SDOE by adding some lines the the keyboard.inp (unless they are there by default now?) Sadly I don't have those lines handy, but I'm sure someone does, and maybe if you add those it will work.

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PatsyTwo
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an RMA number from eMagin this morning; the goggles are on their way back to eMagin as of this afternoon. I had some fundamental "personal" issues with the headset. No matter how I adjusted it, some portion of the "screen" was, for me, out of focus. Additionally, after twenty minutes-or-so of use, I began to develop massive eye strain. Adjusting the brightness, adjusting the spacing of the lens elements, adjusting the distance of the lenses to my glasses / eyes - nothing I did had any positive effect. Again, these were things that affected me - could be I'm a wimp (my wife says so, at any rate!).

The head-pointing feature tied to the cursor / view was really cool. Setup was fairly simple, though the system as a whole is not quite plug-n-play.

Bottom line: I felt I was spending way too much finagle-time for something that cost so danged much. It will be a while before this boy launches back into VR goggles anytime soon.

PatsyTwo

SIR WINSTON LEONARD SPENCER CHURCHILL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: