Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Video Setting Advice ? GeForce 6200 OC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Video Setting Advice ? GeForce 6200 OC Reply with quote

First my PC specs:
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 2GHz, 512MB RDRam (RAMBUS), NVidia (BFG) GeForce 6200 OC AGP 4X 256MB ForceWare version 77.76, Dell 19in M992 monitor.
Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates settings> 1024x768, Color Quality: Highest (32 bit), Screen refresh rate: 60 (70, 72, 75, & 85 also available). Antialiasing settings (Off, 2x, 2xQ, & 4x available), Anisotropic filtering (Off, 2x, 4x, 8x & 16x available), & Vertical sync: (Off & On available), are all set to Application-controlled, which I think equals Off because that?s where the ?slider pointer? sits for all three (even though it is ?grayed out?). Image settings: Quality (High Performance, Performance, Quality, & High Quality available).
FSSDOE Game Display Settings> Renderer: OpenGL32, Resolution: 1024x768, Texture & Object Detail: Max, Maximum Texture Size: 1024x1024, all Game Options Enabled except the last 3 (movie and conserve hard drive space).

I recently upgrade from a GeForce4 MX420 64MB video card and I?m now getting ?grid lines? (tile related?) showing up in the terrains. Anyone have any ideas why the lines are showing up? Is there a better setting selection that could get rid of them? If so, what kind of trade-offs could be involved? I don?t know anything about Antialiasing & Anisotropic, settings with the new vid card that I don?t remember seeing with the old one.

I know, lots of questions, but I?d appreciate the help from the very knowledgeable folks this forum always has around,
Tanx in advance,
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off Conformant Texture Clamp in Advanced Detonator graphics card settings. Should do the trick!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Last edited by ArgonV on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the monitor, but go for the fastest refresh it will do comfortably - 72,75, or 80 should be good, and shouldn't affect any other performance items, but will be easier on your eyes. The best bet on antialiasing is 2xQ - low computation overhead for quite good image quality. Back it off if it seems to slow down the card. Anisotropic, app-controlled is good - gives more fine detail when higher (makes surfaces "busier").
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Smile

Do either of you know how these settings will effect other games like Operation Flashpoint? Should I create a profile with these setting to use just for FS:SDOE?

Tanx again,
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV wrote:
Anisotropic, app-controlled is good - gives more fine detail when higher (makes surfaces "busier").

PV, just to be sure I read you correctly about higher- as in when the setting is higher or when you are flying at a higher altitude?

Tanx again,
Major_Hippie
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

App-controlled AA & AF only works with games that issue those commands, I don't think SDOE has those functions so it would basically equal OFF. A good generic setting for SDOE is 4 x AA & 4 x AF. The beefer the system, the higher you can push up those numbers.
On my big SLI Rig, I use maxed out AA & AF (in fact I use the special SLI x16 AA) and the 'wavy' (not in a good way) effect the some of the 'ocean' terrains can produce at distant viewing is elminated Smile

BTW - I ordered me a new AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (single-core) from NewEgg.com today (their are so dang cheap!) this thing has EXACTLY the same specs as the FX-53 Twisted Evil

So the build will soon look like this:
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 4000+ (San Diego Core)
GeIL PC-3200 DDR RAM (2GB, in dual channel)
Dual eVGA Nvidia 7800GTs in SLI (256mb each, Factory OC'ed)
Dual Seagate SATA II Drives (300GB each)
Dual Western Digital SATA II Drives (160GB each)
Dual DVD Drives (1+1 Burner)
OCZ 600w SLI Ready Power Supply
Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick
Saitek Eclipse Gamers Keyboard
Logitech LX7 Invisible Optic Cordless Mouse
Samsung 930b LCD 19" Flat Panel

I'm so friggin' evil #evil

sorry to hijack but to get back on topic, go here and check this nVidia freeware tool that I use & it's great:
www.nhancer.com
Allows you to tweak nvidia game profiles with more options than the standard nvidia control panel Smile

Game profiles are very cool because you point the profile to the game's EXE file so your 6200 card will "recognize" the game as it launches (in SDOE's case that would be app.exe) & applies the setting you tweaked for that game in it's profile. I have custom profiles for all of my favorite games, and some of them vary wildly. A lot less hassle than changing the settings manually for each game each time you play it Smile

hip63 #Fadeing color

hip63's SDOE Airfield
for Missions, Skins &More

Last edited by Major_Hippie on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Major_Hippie
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW-You may want to update your drivers 77s are kinda old for a 6200

hip63 #Fadeing color

hip63's SDOE Airfield
for Missions, Skins &More
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanx for the info Hip, you always got some cool goodies to impart on us less informed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: