Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Seeking Advice on PC RDRAM (RAMBUS) Memory Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Seeking Advice on PC RDRAM (RAMBUS) Memory Upgrade Reply with quote

I?m seeking advice on upgrading my Dell Dimension 8200 memory. I need someone with good knowledge of memory speed differences and Error-Correcting Code (ECC). My system is 2.0GHz, 400MHz FSB, purchased in 2002 which originally had a set/pair of Samsung 2 X 128MB (256MB total) PC800-40, 184 pin, 64x16, non-ECC, 40ns, RDRAM (RAMBUS) memory modules. I got an additional Samsung set/pair a few years later and now have a total of 512MB. I want to add another 1GB of memory, replacing one of the sets/pairs. One on-line site sells a Samsung 1GB set/pair of 518MB, 64x18, ECC, 45ns modules for 269.95. They say it is compatible with my PC and existing memory. They also sell a Samsung 1GB set/pair of 518MB, 64x16, non-ECC, 40ns modules for 369.95. Another site sells an unknown brand of 1GB set/pair of 518MB, 64x16, non-ECC, 40ns modules for 324.95. The ECC, 45ns is obviously slower than the non-ECC, 40ns. Question: How much slower is the ECC, 45ns? Is it too much of a difference not to be worth a $55 - $100 price difference. Even if I?m going from 512MB to 1280MB?
I posted the same question at SIM HQ and someone already replied to get a new PC, but that is not an option for a while.

Tanx in advance,
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump,
one last try...
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about that stuff. I use DDR SDRAM maxed for the AMD chip I have. Corsair used to have a nice little flash tutorial on all the types and terminology, but the site has changed and that link is gone. However, if you look here, you should find lots of info, and you can try the configurator if you know anything about the content of your motherboard:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/appnotes/default.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: