Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Terrain help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Add-On Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Terrain help? Reply with quote

I'm working on a few terrains for the pacific theater and if anyone has any pointers let me know.

help tips or things to watch out for?

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
Manuel
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pearl Harbor terrain would be great.

The best I could deliver would be simply a "water" terrain...

I always wonder how someone can create such perfect add-ons with so much detail. Always a fascinating moment for me to see.
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With good hi res aerial/satellite views now easily available, and the way SDOE uses terrain tiles, photorealistic terrain should be a snap. The only issue would be editing the images to remove anachronisms. At one point I was considering doing a repaint of the mediterranean terrain with material collected from the greek islands on google maps, but I just have too much to do with BoB2 work....
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tons of ideas on what I want to do an this is a new area for me. What I need it some of the basic items that must be present in a terrain for it to load and look correct. I've looked over stock terrain and other then changing the name and tif i can't really do much else without making it unplayable.

I want to start off with just a basic flat polygon and work my way up. If anyone could help with this it would make things go MUCH FASTER!

also what was the name of the program that would create your supertifs? not dicer this was more of a drag and drop program.

PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean assembling the constituent tif files into their full array, there's a program called untile which does that. As I recall it came with the OPtools pack I got many years ago, along with bigmunger, and untiff (which unpacks compressed tifs). Dicer does the opposite, chopping up the big tif into its chuncks.
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a program out that someone sent me long ago (i'm still looking over CD's for a backup) that ran a small window and you could drag and drop all the tile and it would form your supertif. Just can't remember the name

Major_Hippie
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you want I think

Image Chopper and Back Manager

http://rapidshare.com/files/272137973/ICBM.zip

Sorry I haven't hooked up with on L4D or COD5 but my ISP is have relability issues these days (they are new and the only option for high speed in my area)

hip63 Poke Tounge

hip63's SDOE Airfield
for Missions, Skins &More
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU HIPPIE!!!

look me up when you get it ready. Me and a guy from work play L4D on the weekends a good bit so if your one and i'm playing look me up and i;ll send you an invite

ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this to a PM to Razer, but it's useful info so I will post it here:

With the last patch that enabled larger terrains, the wind barrier is much farther out.

I would do a lot of OL file editing by hand to get objects and references where you want them (Using AC3d and loading the OL file in to get the cords you want/need). Moving terrain objects in OPS is not recommended unless you want to be there forever. You will have to do that to fine tune object placement though.

You can also hand edit the OL file to remove or add file references. Just be sure they are in numerical order.

I recall when I revamped Somme the last time that in my version of AC3d (v3.6) and OL tools when you exported to a new OL the LOD files that went with it got messed up now and then. I think a later version of AC3d and the plugins fixed this for me (I used AC3d v4.something if I recall correctly).

The terrain tiles need to remain in the group; otherwise you will get really slow loading times and texture loading times when you try to play a mission. You can add a group after the fact by hand editing the OL file. Just look how it's done already with an existing terrain and do the same thing (Look for a Group start and a Group end).

You will need to update all airfield names, town names and file references to make them "your own". That means there needs to be a new folder in airfields under the Media folder that is your terrain name and the same for towns. Also, DO NOT edit the airfields in OPS without parse proplists turned off. You will hose the runway cords and center location of the airfield if you don't turn off parse proplists in OPS. If you need to update the runway cords, turn the SM file into an OL file and open it up in AC3d. Then make points where you want the runway to be, and note the cords of each point. Next, hand edit the OL file with that runway data. The points go in a certain order, there is an airfield tutorial which I think has this info (I don't remember what the order is off of the top of my head).

If you want a really good look at a fresh user-made terrain (Some of the stock terrains have bits you don't need and are a mess) look at the latest Somme terrain: http://www.fsww1.com/Downloads/Terrains/Somme_SnowySomme_v3.exe

This is the first user-made terrain to be totally complete in every way, with no old leftover bits from terrains of past. Somme is not dependent on any other terrain, so in theory you could delete the stock terrains and Somme would work just fine. Also, Somme has the barrier tiles, properly numbered and ordered. All of the ppf file entries are also there so it will show up correctly in the Mission editor and the game's GUI. Lastly, the proper data are in the SM files for the towns and airfields (Bomb target data, correct naming, correct runway cords and correct center cords).

It look me almost 5 months to bring Somme from what it was to what it is now and I didn't start from scratch. I have a feeling if I did, things would of gone a lot quicker because I wasn't having to back track things in the SM file to see if they served a purpose or not. Good luck!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Add-On Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: