Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Hi Guys Been a while

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Hi Guys Been a while Reply with quote

Hi Guys its been a while just thought that I check out what been going on and it great to see that this sim is still hanging in there I'm waiting for the new 1680X1050 patchjust installed the gane again on my laptop it works fine needed a little dead band as the stick was very sensitive.

Been flying this old kite that what comes of playing OPWW1 used a cycle helmet to mount a camera did the sound track as well hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUNTR6mg7uU

keep up the good work and happy landings

Gypsy9
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate!

Good to see you in these parts of the web! Very neat vid there. Happy How does she handle in a cross wind?

Hopefully soon I can put together and release a FS-WWI 1.6.0.7 Test Patch. Maybe for Christmas? Wink Have you tried the latest add-on aircraft? (RE8 and the Ca42)

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice video, thanks for posting it. Is that Southern England you're flying over?
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Hello mate!

Good to see you in these parts of the web! Very neat vid there. Happy How does she handle in a cross wind?

Hopefully soon I can put together and release a FS-WWI 1.6.0.7 Test Patch. Maybe for Christmas? Wink Have you tried the latest add-on aircraft? (RE8 and the Ca42)

Hopefully a few pre WWI kites will be through enough Beta testing to make that patch?

I'll shut up and get back to the airplane mill... Poke Tounge
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester, this won't be a mod patch, just a game patch. Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's ok in cross winds the raised tips give a bit more flexability so I combine a wingdown then a boot of rudder before she settles.

She's much nicer in a cross wind than say a Tigermoth now they are a handfull in a strong cross wind. A hand full most of the time in fact, which is why the Tiger is such a good trainer you gotta learn, if you can fly a Tiger you can fly almost anything.

Thats as close to WW1 flying that i've been. The noise and wind blast can wear you down but the adrenaline counters that ok Wink How those guys went to war and above 14000ft freezing on a daily basis is beyond my comprehension massive respect to them plus fumbleing with a rotary lump as well.

I want to fly an AN2 next!

Yeah thats Blighty on a good summers day just west of Winsor
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! Thanks for sharing that. I am so envious it's beyond belief... Wink

Do the tigers narrow wings have anything to do with it handling not so well in a high-wind setting?

I hope you've got a seat warmer in that thing! Laugh

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to add my smarty pants opinion of why Tiggies are a handful..

They combine wing backsweep with dihedral in both wings which make for much yaw-roll coupling. My AVRO Arrowscout model is the same way in a crosswind. Any rudder to counter the weathervaning means there's not an inconsiderable amount of opposite roll that has to be fed in to counter the roll coupling.

That the DeHavilland engineers cranked in a lot of mechanical aileron compensation in the form of differential shows that they were quite aware of it.

The fact that the 1914 AVRO Arrowscout had this backsweep and dihedral in large amounts with simple cable connected ailerons, an un-throttleable Gnome 80 and a very streamlined airframe for it's time, probably made it a much bigger handful when landing. A.V. Roe had added drag flaps to the inboard lower wings for a reason. I suspect that trying to land a tightly yaw-roll coupled, short wingspan bipe with generous side areas and a reluctance to slow in a dive...

Yeah like Gypsy said, early pilots had big brass gonads.. Shocked
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Good to know! Thanks for sharing that. I am so envious it's beyond belief... Wink

Do the tigers narrow wings have anything to do with it handling not so well in a high-wind setting?

I hope you've got a seat warmer in that thing! Laugh

You know the reason why the CA33 and 42, plus the RAF FE2b all had wind powered generators?

..Electrically heated Sidcot suits for the poor gunners on their platforms and gun stations out in that 80+ freezing gale. And I'll bet it still wasn't quite enough heat for the conditions.
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they cranked the wings back on the tiger to make it easier to bail out from the front seat it was the best way to keep the C of G forgot to mention about the adverse yaw as well, keep yer eye on the ball Smile

Yeah Argon I'm a lucky boy I soloed on one of the oldest Tigers around it was used to train BOB pilots and it was still in its RAF colours.
Sadly it got stuffed by a cop who was showing off doing aeros for his family, the Tiger was a right off but he was ok.

One of the club members who was airbourn saw him go in and called for SAR a week later the same cop busted the guy who called the SAR for speeding! My how he plummeted in the personality rateings at the club he became known as charlie uniform november tango Wink
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know Lester! I did model the wind generators on the Ca 42. Happy

Great story Gypsy! Sad about the Tiger though... No chance of repairing it? Is SAR search and rescue? I'm surprised that cop hasn't quit the club...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes SAR Is search and rescue hope the image shows she was a beautiful one Sad
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy that was a real nice kite indeed... Sad

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: