Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Evacuation of Dunkirque model

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Evacuation of Dunkirque model Reply with quote

It's role in the ET was largely as a home coastal patrol, but the Avro Anson did have one shining moment during the evacuation of Dunkirque,

Three Ansons pressed into duty during the retreat were forced to defend themselves when jumped by 4 ME109's, over Dunkirque's Harbor. Surprisingly the Ansons managed to fend off their attackers and shot two of them down.

This little dogfight has always impressed me, especially as the attacked aircraft were 180 mph limited and were defended by a single forward firing .303 Vickers and a dorsal turret Lewis in the equivalent of a perspex bubble enclosed Scarff ring.

I've got an Anson that I have about half finished, has anyone thought of doing a pre-BOB, Phony War/Dunkirque invasion add-on to SDOE? I'd love to have this model added to the planes, I don't have a lot of WWII aircraft in 3D, this pretty much my only better detailed ones.

Shadow OPS
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, anything added is golden Wink
braddock
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been hoping for an Anson for years;good to see one on the drawing board.The other aeroplanes that I would like to see in SDOE are the Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley bomber and H.P.Hampden.These early Second World War aircraft have been missing from the game for too long.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomber, who has done so much stuff for Targetware' Target4Today had done a cleverly made Whitley that had the interior geodesic frame rendered in alpha masking. It looked stunning.

I hate to say it but how about a Fairey Battle? I think they could be included too.

Like I said about the Anson, WWI vintage defensive weaponry..

The men who flew in these planes had major brass just to go up into hostile airspace.
Skid
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, early war British planes are my bag ! An Anson or a Battle would be superb Smile

The Anson was a jack of many trades, so it would add a transport, a marine recon and a trainer to the game Smile

With the Battle, it wouldn't take much for someone clever to use it to come up with a Fulmar too Wink
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anson is an interesting item; it looks very modern, but it had a fuselage that was canvas over aluminum frame, not an enclosed metal can. It was very cold to fly in.
...A Fairey Battle might be a relatively simple variation from the existing Barracuda.
Provost
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester Boffo, thank you for your contribution, it is a real pleasure to see new planes in project for Sdoe ww2 .
The Anson is very interesting. A multifunctions aircraft.
A Fairey Battle might be a variation from the IL2 also.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys..Smile

As you can see my model isn't near being close to finished, and with the Magnificent Men planes I'm working on it may be a while yet, But I intend to get this into the sim. The greenhouses on the Anson and the Battle are huge, and there is a complex metal frame inside the glass to model also.

On some of the Anson images I've seen, there's this largish ductwork surrounding the exhaust that looks like a heat exchanger for interior heating. I can guess this thing was like driving a 60's vintage aircooled Volkswagen in freezing weather. Brrrrr!
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd drop a little note about the Anson progress is slow but I have learned a new function, Booleans...

ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo neat! No luck with AC3d then...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with AC3D's later versions unfortunately.

I was hoping that there was a free edition of 6.1, as it seems to be the version that Knife fuction came into being a Boolean. Nothing but vaporware torrent sites that redirect you back to AC3D's newest version. I'm using TrueSpace 7.6's standalone which accepts .cob exports from Meta. Does a nice enough job but is a bit more finicky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: