Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Hello, been away for a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Hello, been away for a while. Reply with quote

I've been involved into another flight sim for the past few months. I'm not sure if you are familiar with FlightGear. I have got a few models I've been developing for FG. It's got some similarities to SDOE but only in a general sense in that it's primarily open editing programming and runs in OpenGL.

It's made to run on Macs, Unix/Ubuntu/Linux and Windows, in fact Windows users are a bit of minority with this sim.

The big part of my excitement about FG is that it's modelling pipeline is based on .ac models. ( BTW has anyone made a properly functional helicopter for SDOE? ) and it's base FMs are fairly easy to understand, although they suffer from programming bloat with additional features.

It's also one of the most active online sims right now, and has the entire planet modeled in 3D. Fun things, and, there's a rough Combat Sim patch called 'Bombable' that has added AI dogfighting, although I am not sure they have made the online part of it work as well as the offline AI scenarios. It's a bit of state of flux and change because of the open programming nature. New versions are always in the pipeline, they just added version 2.60 as a replacement for 2.40.

Excuse the overt enthusiasm, kind of contagious. Laugh
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a true tinkerer's sim! Happy

And welcome back! We've still got that Caudron N to sort out!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might post some screenshots.

I've been doing helicopters lately. The old AeroSpatiale Lama is one model I've modified from an Alouette II.

I also had some involvement in bringing a DH100 Vampire to life, actually very complex 3D model. . I've also done the Eastbourne and my old Sopwith Strutter for FG, not official release though, they need more interior work.

LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Ah, a true tinkerer's sim! Happy

And welcome back! We've still got that Caudron N to sort out!

Yeah, I know, the fuselage shading on the Pioneers FS-WWI model is atrocious, I almost want to redo the whole darn thing. Embarassed
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow lester welcome back!

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDOE chopper collection:
http://www.fsww1.com/Downloads/WOW/rotor.html
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking awesome there Lewis! That Strutter is a thing of beauty... We had one being worked on at one time, but it was lost in a hard drive crash. Sad

There's also an old Huey floating around somewheres along with what PV posted. I need to link in Wings Over Water to FS-WWI's More Info section.

I could probably fix that shading! Send over your latest build and it can be the next aircraft in the next PoF pack!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maury Markowitz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, been away for a while. Reply with quote

LesterBoffo wrote:
I've been involved into another flight sim for the past few months. I'm not sure if you are familiar with FlightGear.

Your post prompted me to download FG for the Mac. I'm very impressed with some aspects, notably the exterior graphics, flight model generally, and some of the interesting tools like radio navigation and such. There's some real power in this engine.

But in other ways I don't know if there's a basis for a sustainable sim here.

In particular, the game is a single huge 1.3 GB file. It was bad enough with parfiles, but this is ridiculous! From 2005 on, EVERY plug-in of every sort (flight sim or no) should be a bog-standard directory in the file system. Period!

Another problem is the terrain. Uggg. Enough said.

But the thing that really got me is the lack of any sort of physics outside the flight model. This is seriously distracting, especially when you fly through the ground. But much more annoying is the fact that the plane is flying even on the ground. For instance…

1) start off a Zero at your fav airport
2) start up and roll until the tail comes up
3) now (interestingly) the gyro action of the engine slews the aircraft to the right.
4) notice how your aircraft is still rolling on the runway, but it's flying with the nose pointed 10 degrees to the right.

That is, of course, impossible.

I'm not slagging the game, that it exists even in this state as a completely open project is amazing. What I'm really writing about is just how freaking incredible SDOE is!

One can dream of the perfect sim. It might be something like the flight engine of FG, the physics engine of SDOE, and the terrain engine of… I don't know who.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maury,

Which airplane were you flying? was it the Sopwith Strutter?

FWIW, FG uses two separate and fairly disparate aircarft flight models, YASim and JSBsim. They have quirks to both of them, the odd one that I'm a bit not happy with is the lack of ground/terrain/water surface friction/ interaction with the landing gear in JSBsim, as it's actually, IMO the better of the two because it does fairly complex modelling of wing airfoil tables for lift/drag and such. JSBsim also has good adjust-ability of the FM for the flight surfaces and fuselage side lift and drag, and the engines and propellers ( thrusters for jets and rockets) are accurately modelled.

YASim has a problems with fuselage side drag and it uses a generic airfoil for all aircraft, but it models ground surface and water interaction quite well. The problem is this is a volunteer open source programming project spanning 3 major OS systems, 2 hardware platforms and many different approaches to programming, that it's amazing that it works at all.

One thing to keep in mind, It does 'real weather' fetches when set-up for it and you can have sudden wind changes in the blink of an eye when the Metar information is updated, this can include drastic wind direction, fog, rain, and snow, changes. The terrain is based on a dated, low resolution ground elevation mapping that is going to be changed soon, unfortunately it will also mean that a much more powerful PC will be needed to keep the frame rates from dogging in the teens or lower.

It also does have available much more terrain than the initial download of KSFO and surroundings, like I said there are all parts of the world available as 'tarbal'l TGZ compressed files. Yeah the rivers run up the side of canyons, and the roads and rails look funky, but you can add your own terrain modifications. Unfortunately it's best left to folks who know Unix and command-lines. The terrain modeller is buggy, like OPS is for aircraft.

I think where FG really shines is in the online flight experience with multiple pilots and it's helicopters probably have the best FM for helis in freeware aviation simming right now.

Just keep in mind, grain of salt, these are my limited experiences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: