Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
So what's everyone up to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Jade's Playpen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue jet is fiberglass fuse with balsa covered wings and tail. Everything else is foam.

I have some nice pics of WW1 planes that came to our warbird event in April.

I'll post later.

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of foam? Is carbon fibre+RoHaCell within the
budget reach for such projects? That's the way I would
go... I'd also consider using 1 thou titanium skin, looks
like you can get 1ft x 5m for about $350,
http://www.ti-shop.com/titanium-ti/foil-microfoil/grade-1-foil/0-025mm-ti-grade-1-foil-annealed.html
shared among a group that's not too bad...
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been adding to my custom list of FlightGear aircraft, I've also asked for and gotten permission from a couple of MSFS9- MSFS2004 Century of Flight modellers to convert over a few of their models to FG.

So yeah I've been using the heck out of that AC3D 3.6 copy you gave me Argon. Very Happy Thanks and I'm thrilled would be an understatement, as I've recently converted Flying Station's FS2004 AI HMS Victorious to a FlightGear driveable Multiplayer aircraft carrier using it. I've also got a Sea Hurricane, a GAL Cygnet II, an HP Hamden...

I've gotten a little further with Scorpion's Blenheim I'm doing the cockpit interior with custom gauges as the bristol used a bunch that no other WWII aircraft used.

BTW as you know the Santos-Dumont 14bis is from a FG modeller named Helijah. Because of the use license is GPL, if FS-WWI wants to, we would be free to use any of his recent pre-WWI models with acknowledgement of his original artistry on them, he has a newish Antoinette, and my Demoiselle is based largely on polys from his original Demoiselle.

Mossie and Bomber from TargetWare are busy with making a FG derived WWII Bomber air combat sim called Target4Today. so I'm in contact with Ger once in a while.

I've fired up FS-WWI occasionally to fly BE2c and Shorthorn missions. I guess I like the challenge of not always returning from a flight.. Laugh

I'd like to see my 1911 AVRO II tripe eventually make it into PoF, also the Model T flatbed, the AVRO Type F, Borel Morane type A. I'm just stymied by the shadow creation process, and the whole Open Plane Studio routine.

once again I'm rambling...

Cheers
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see those kites in FS-WWI's PoF pack too! I can assist you in the finer annoyances of OpenPlane Studio and importing... SDOE was one of the first sims to allow open modding. It's easier than a lot were back then but compared to today's moddable sims it's a real PITA. Just let me know when you want to send stuff my way! I have the flatbed but I think it's an older version than what you have now.

I didn't know Mossie is on his way to creating a new sim! That's excellent news! Mossie's work is also present in FS-WWI.

You're welcome about the AC3d copy! There's newer versions of AC3d out there now that are cheap to buy, you should invest in the latest when you have spare cash. I don't have the latest Flight Gear installed anymore, sounds like I need to pick it up!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was playing Aion on a private server have gone to retail now that it is free.

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid
Pachy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so nice to hear about you guys!

I haven't been very active for the last... 10 years Smile but it still feels like home around here. Since SDOE, I have been playing:

WWII Online
Many FPSes (currently Rage and the last of the STALKER series)
Racing games like DIRT etc.

...but generally not playing much due to work and family life.

Last summer we went to Italy and boy did I make sure we paid a visit to the Museo Storico dell'Aeronautica Militare in Vigna di Valle. It's really fantastic. We have this running joke in WWIIOL boards "where's my Macchi", since there are no Italian forces in the game (yet?). So I asked my 8-year old if he could spot a Macchi....

(it wasn't very hard, they have plenty!)

Sometimes I miss 3D modelling and stuff... but that doesn't really get me creative. Oh well, maybe later.

Cheers!
SCROFT
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... as long as I work for the hosting company that hosts this site I will keep it up for free for you guys. Glad to see after all these years this site still brings you all together.

Chad
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Argon, sorry it took so long. These are two of the kites at the last Warbirds event we had. Keep in mind on the fokker the table is 8ft

Here is a few other warbirds we had

and my modified B-25

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party here, it was good reading all of your updates, been a very long time since I've heard from many of you!

As for my life, in the last year I got married, returned to grad school to get my M.A. in European history (half done now), visited Japan to work on projects related to tsunami recovery with school and I'm also working full time at my old college in the fundraising department. I also started archery lessons with an Olympic certified instructor as I'm going to make a run at Olympic trials, crazy as that sounds, but I always loved archery and it fell to the wayside in my life long ago, now that I've been healthy for a few years I picked it back up.

In the gaming realm, well, it's been sparse, between working full time and having grad school at night while writing a thesis, I don't play anything much anymore. Last December/January when school was on break I did play and beat Skyrim, love those Elder Scrolls games.

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Smokey
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still around. Nothing much new with me except maybe a little older.
Good to hear from everyone.Smile
oscar
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still around, looking in now and then, spend more time with 3d graphics (Hexagon, Bryce 7, ...) compared to games: Flying Il 2 1946, but still in love with SDOE! Is there someone in the community with a new plane nearly ready for relaease? It would be such a fun to see this old sim
still expanding!!! Smile Very Happy Very Happy
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you lot! I just got back from a week long Disney cruise out of Galveston with my wife and family. I haven't touched SDOE much in terms of modding, but I still do a lot of playing! Other games too occupy a lot of my time (Rise of Flight, Skyrim, Just Cause 2 and so on)

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razer, those are AWESOME!!!!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCROFT wrote:
FYI... as long as I work for the hosting company that hosts this site I will keep it up for free for you guys. Glad to see after all these years this site still brings you all together.

Chad

Thanks Chad, I'm not an oldtimer like most of the crew here, but in sim years I'm probably older than dirt. Laugh

I should post up some screenshots from FlightGear, but then again I should also post up some screenshots from SDoE.

I downloaded the SDoE .ISO with all the recent improvements, installed it and added all the plane packs I could find here in the forum and online. It boggles the mind all the various missions available, I know these are really old hat but there's a lot of fun left in this old sim.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCROFT wrote:

Chad

Thank you sooooo much sir!!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Jade's Playpen All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: