Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
ALL READ: Openplane and the Legacy Packs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Downloads WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3dp
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: ALL READ: Openplane and the Legacy Packs Reply with quote

I hope I'm explaining this correctly. If not, it's not important as the effects are true. In short, there is a hierarchy issue with the use of the Openplane folder.

Assuming that SDOE uses the last version of duplicate files it finds in different PAR files:

The Openplane folder is read LAST. Within the Openplane folder, files are read based on the order one arranges them in, NOT their number. The top priority being read last. The effect here is that if I put the upcoming Legacy Update (Data20.par) in an Openplane folder, it will not override the other Legacy packs unless one moves it 'Up'. Now here's the killer. If one puts the Update out in the media folder, it will NOT override the stuff in the Openplane folder, despite its higher number.

So in effect, if you have the Legacy packs in the Openplane folder, as I released them, any files in them are overriding files of the same name in ANY PAR file in the Media directory. There may be no such files, but the risk is high. Also, as different people may have the Legacy packs in different orders in their Openplane folders, different overrides may be occuring from user to user.

This ain't good! I am now of the opinion that for the best results (at least until the hierarcy can be changed), one should dispense with Openplane folder use altogether and move the various PAR files into the Media directory with the other PAR files. That way, they will function as intended from the start.

I don't know what this does for online compatibility as the Openplane system was a great way to swap out non-online standard stuff like the Legacy packs.

I'm sorry about this. I thought that the Openplane folder merely added PAR files to the mix and that the PAR file numbers still mattered when using it. Discovering that duplicate files in Data5.par in any Openplane folder would override the equivalent files in Data99.par in the Media directory was quite a shock! There may be no such files, but the risk is high as I said.

Sorry. Sad
wat32
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, this may explain some mismatches with the odd airfoil here and there. Closing the openplane folder tonight!

wat Smile
V67_Naturlich
Govt Contractor
Govt Contractor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgr, the OP folder is nothing but a drag espcialy when we have so maney parfiles that can be used anyway, but this IS a very handy piece of info, I always wondered which way round the checking went be never got round to testing it out. From this we can now see that using the OP folder could cause some serious problemseven with the Base Pack, since regardless of the par number usd, if some one drops somthing in their OP folder thats also in the BP, then the OP folder version would be used, making a mockery of the Online Standard. No wonder I never liked the OP folder LOL

3dp, if your looking at moving Legacy into Media, thats something else we can talk about, we've already made provision for you in the planning Smile
Blind_Faith
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dp Why not create the update as a replacement par file or a binary patch (or patches) I have tested the process of binary patching with hanfast and it seems to work well. It took a 326K patch to fix the 2 DATA2 and DATA3 parfiles.

It could be done like this:

Apply your modifications to the existing DATAx.par files in all the packs creating new versions and we could create an update.exe for those that have the early version.

The tool I used is called Patchwise and is free.

I suspect that the exe might even be smaller then the summ of the fixes, that remains to be tested.

If you like this idea I could give you a hand with this
Hentzau
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK, no need to be sorry.

I don't quite understand though. Does openplane folder set priority alphabetically within the openplane folder, so you could fix a bit of it by making the lowest number parfile in openplane folder have say 0 as the first symbol in the folder title? Say "0_Wake" if Wake was the lowest parfile number? So sequentially the lowest par file might be prefixed by 0 in its folder name, the next 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f, and so on? I get the part that openplane folder might overwrite something in the media folder though thus still creating a problem.

Could a binary patch process move existing game par files into the openplane folder? With folder titles like 0_required, 1_required, 2_required?
V67_Naturlich
Govt Contractor
Govt Contractor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last thing you want to do is move stuff into the OP folder, pretty much anything excpet for skin packs want moving out of it.

But as to Priority, the user sets that himself in the OP folder options from the game GUI. Where this is stored I'm not sure, it may be possible to have an installer rewrite the users priority settings to ensure they are correct, but that doesnt remove any other possible problems.
3dp
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now,

Skin packs would be the only practical use I can see for the Openplane folder.

Blind Faith,

I must confess that I understand just about nothing in your kind offer above, beyond the basic concept. What would you need from me to test the it?
commando unlogged

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openplane can still be used for Nations too so it is not totally dead.
Blind faith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way, for me that is, would be for you to tell me where I could download the par file of the upgraded pack of your choice. I don't have the numbers here but let's pretend:

DATA18.par is the legacy pack in question .
you unbig it and place the fixes in the right spots
rebig the file to DATA18.par (we know this not the same file)

I get that new version of the file (I could also do the big process but I figure you are much better at this then I could be)
Using Patchwise I create an installer that contains only the instructions on how to make an installed DATA18.par identical to the new version you just produced.

Patching software acts like a macro that opens an existing file and modifies it according to a set of rules it learned through a compare operation.

Darn if it is good enough for M$ it sure is good enough for us Poke Tounge Poke Tounge
V67_Naturlich
Govt Contractor
Govt Contractor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that sound of it BF Smile for updates rather than complete restructures this sounds just the ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Downloads WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: