AC3D interoperability with MultiGen?
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
OpenPlaneSim Forums -> Tech Talk

#1: AC3D interoperability with MultiGen? Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:10 am
    —
A looooooooong time ago... There was an Openplane modelling contest... and some members of this community were offered temporary licenses for the ultra-expensive professional modelling tool MultiGen Paradigm. If they are still with us, I have a question for them:

How does AC3D interoperate with MutliGen? Suppose I build something with AC3D and/or OPS and Hippie's tools. What would the best file format if I were to share my work with someone using MultiGen?

Of course I would like to send as much info as possible:

- 3D mesh
- texture mapping
- component structure (optionally)
- LODs
- etc.

#2:  Author: RazerLocation: Tuscaloosa, AL PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:39 pm
    —
MultiGen is alot harder then AC3D. There was a tool Michael released that converted the files and gave you an flt file. this was the file needed to load the plane in MG. MG did allow you to work on the whole plane int he editor and view DOF movement in real time. Its really good for terrains cause you can import elevation data and create terrains. Then again this is all for not since its out of my price range.

#3:  Author: WTG PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:56 pm
    —
Short answer ... there is NO interoperation between AC3D and Multigen.

You could build something in AC3D, and possible convert it into a format that could be imported to MG ... but there would be little point. The tools to put it in game directly are less hassle.

I have had a go on Multigen, and can create a terrain from DED data, tile it and export it as a 3DS file ( had no opportunity to try out the Parsoft conversion tool....it wasn't my software or PC, and he didn't want to risk messing it up ). I also tried to understand how Multigen works, but didn't make much headway. Couldn't see the point.

#4:  Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:17 pm
    —
Thanks guys

So if I understood things correctly there is a tool that converts a .SM into a .FLT loadable by MultiGen? Can I download it somewhere or is it a closed tool?

#5:  Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:05 pm
    —
Shameless bump - does anyone have the .SM to .FLT converter?

#6:  Author: RazerLocation: Tuscaloosa, AL PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:10 pm
    —
i thought i had it but can't seem to find it. the tool converted the SM to flt and back.

#7:  Author: Recon3Location: Vancouver, Canada PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:23 am
    —
Does Multigen convert to MS-CFS related stuff? Not that I'm interested in converting, atm, but just curious.

#8:  Author: RazerLocation: Tuscaloosa, AL PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:12 am
    —
no

#9:  Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:37 pm
    —
OK, too bad, thanks very much anyway.

#10:  Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:46 pm
    —
I'm still vaguely interested, just in case someone found the file while doing some housecleaning:) It is mentioned in Tailslide's archive of the older forums:

http://www.tailslide.firelightsoftware.com/fsic/Backup/Forum8/000014.html

#11:  Author: RazerLocation: Tuscaloosa, AL PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
    —
nice to see you still around pachy need to look me up on skype sometime username = razerworkz i did some seraching and turns out an early version of the OL tools extracted all the lod files including an flt file. This was removed to save space and other things but if you can find a really old copy of the extractor files it would be in there.

#12:  Author: PachyLocation: The City of Light PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 pm
    —
Hi all

12 years later I am still looking for this... I have lost most of my SDOE files except the AC3D .ac files I did.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
G.

Last edited by Pachy on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

#13:  Author: SnickLocation: Florida, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 pm
    —
Hey Pachy 'Fraid I have nothing to offer I jumped into modelling after the contest and anything I did was in AC3D (thought I *vaguely* remember mulitgen mentioned somewhere along the way....

#14:  Author: ArgonVLocation: Texas, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:39 pm
    —
Good to see you Pachy, sadly I'm afraid I do not have the tool in question... Sad

#15:  Author: ArgonVLocation: Texas, USA PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:34 pm
    —
I just realized that Tailslide's site is down... Sad

OpenPlaneSim Forums -> Tech Talk

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2