Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Rudder Pedal Calibration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Rudder Pedal Calibration Reply with quote

I just purchased a set of CH Pro Pedals (USB) and am trying to get them to work properly in FS-SDOE. I added the lines to the sdemons.ini and keyboard.inp files to designate the 2nd controller. The game now recognizes the pedals for the Z-axis input, but the calibration is off: all the input range is slewed to the starbord side of center. Using the FSSDOEJoystick Utility, I can see that the null point is off-center to the right side by exactly one-half of the range, such that full right pedal gives me full right deflection, but full left rudder only gets it to what should be the "normal" center position. This is also visible looking aft in the game. The rudder is visually slightly deflected to starboard with no input, and full left pedal only brings the rudder back to dead center (aligned with the vertical fin). I can't get any rudder deflection to the port side of the fin. I've calibrated the pedals through Control Panel/Game Controllers and set the rudder sensitivity slider to full (+) under Options. The pedals work fine in MS Flight Simulator. Is there any way to adjust the calibration/range or set the null position?
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try two things.....calibrating the j-stick 1st along with the pedals. Then if that doesn't work calibrate just the pedals. I have to do one of the two with Wingman software.
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS SideWinder 2 Force Feedback doesn't allow you to actually calibrate the stick the way Logitech does; it only allows you to assign functions to the buttons and adjust the dead zone and X/Y ranges. I reinstalled the SideWinder software to no avail and recalibrated the rudder pedals. No change in-game.
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the pedals on my other computer with a WingMan Force 3D stick. Same result in SDOE. Calibrating stick and pedals didn't help.
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, Flying without pedals just wouldn't cut it for me. Sad
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's discouraging. I just noticed that my rudder inputs are reversed, too: left pedal yaws right. I didn't pick up on it before because I was looking back at my tail and got flipped around in my head. Rudder trim input from the keyboard works, though it doesn't solve the problem. I see in searching this forum that somebody was asking this same question two years ago, but he never got an answer.
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try anything. It'll be worth the effort. Good Luck Irish.
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot but it had me searching for a while when I got my first joystick with separate rudder comtrol. Make sure that the options menu input the light is off at "couple rudder to ailerons"

You can also take a close look at all the calibration and even modify the values on any DX device by using DXtweak2.

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#DX%20Tweak%202

At the very least it gives you an insight into what the programs are getting from your controlers

Good luck!

Cool
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Faith,
That's an neat program, thanks. Haven't been able to fix the problem yet, but I'll play around with it some more. Out of curiosity, what values are your pedals returning from the DXTweak2 program? I would have expected the calibration to be -/+ 128, centered around 0 (like the twist grip axis RZ is), but mine defaults to 0 as min, +128 as center, and +255 as max for the Z axis. The raw values look fine, are centered, respond correctly to the proper pedal input, and work OK in other flight sims (CFS2, CFS3, FS2004, and IL-2), they are only skewed and inverted in SDOE.
Blind Faith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sad my X-45 uses a rocker for rudder and it is as far as I can go on this. One thing you gained here is that you know where your pedals are located in DX. If someone with a similar setup could do the same check you would know what to change and where to get the expected result. Could you have the pedals report as RZ? Is the entry in keyboard.inp correct and how is it detected by FSSDOEJoystick.exe?

I think we are moving here.

Cool
Blind Faith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sad my X-45 uses a rocker for rudder and it is as far as I can go on this. One thing you gained here is that you know where your pedals are located in DX. If someone with a similar setup could do the same check you would know what to change and where to get the expected result. Could you have the pedals report as RZ? Is the entry in keyboard.inp correct and how is it detected by FSSDOEJoystick.exe?

I think we are moving here.

Cool
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the following two lines to my sdemons.ini file:
Joystick=Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2
Joystick1=CH Pro Pedals USB
which is what the FSSDOEJoystick program calls them.

I added/modified the following lines in the keyboard.inp file:
;inpRudderAnalog = JoystickAxisRZ
inpRudderAnalog = Joystick1AxisZ
where RZ was the twist grip on my SideWinder stick, and Z is the axis being used by the pedals.

I can see the discrepancy in the FSSDOEJoystick program window: the brakes are using axes X & Y, and the sliders are full left with brakes unapplied, and full right travel when applied. Fine, as they should be. However, for the pedals, the axis Z slider sits skewed halfway between center and full right travel, and pressing right pedal makes the slider move LEFT, toward center, while pressing left pedal makes the slider move to full RIGHT travel. This corresponds exactly to what I'm seeing visually in the game. Weird.
Blind_Faith
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can clear calibrations from the system by using this tool and recalibrate.

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#Clear%20Calibration%20Utility:

See If that improves on centering.

I am suprised that no one helped on this... Anyboduy else using CH pedals?

Do you use a profiling software from CH? If you do it may have the option to reverse the axis I know SDOE doen't have it.

Cool
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the check box to invert the Z axis in the CH software. That does solve the reverse-input problem in FS (although, of course, the rudder input in all my other sims is then backwards). Can't fix the off-center problem, though. The Clear Calibration Utility didn't help.
Irish
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I admitted defeat and threw in the towel. I broke down and purchased a new CH Combatstick 568 (USB) to go with the pedals. CH has downloadable software they call Control Manager which allows you to combine multiple CH controller devices and map them into a single virtual device which is presented to the game, thereby eliminating any potential conflict from multiple controllers. The new virtual device shows up in the Windows Game Controller applet in place of the other actual devices.

I am happy to say it works like a champ in SDOE! Pedals at last! Works in Red Baron, too! Happy

You can create unique button profile maps for each game. The only drawback is that it's not a force feedback stick like my MS Sidewinder 2, but I consider it a small price to pay for the more authentic immersive experience of flying these older kites with real rudders. As a pilot, the twist stick, although intuitive, just never felt natural, not to mention that I could never get over a certain dyslexia in cross-control maneuvers like a sideslip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: