Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Somme Repaint 2 by Gypsy9 up for testing:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Somme Repaint 2 by Gypsy9 up for testing: Reply with quote

Have at it! Please report any bugs and comments you may have here. This is a private release. If no bugs or other concerns arise I will release. Gypsy9 did an outstanding job on this one! Dover repaint comming soon! Big Grin No need to back anything up as this is intended to totally replace the current Somme repaint we have. This one is smaller too! (For whatever reason)

Download here: Full Somme Terrain Repaint 2 (35mb)

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that you noticed that the texture size was smaller. cool eh Happy
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY! How did you do it?!?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys also test out all the run ways for me and see if a flight of 4 S.E.5a's can take off from them? I want to be sure...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, just noticed this post, and my new college schedule has finally worked out where I have Friday's off!!!! So I can actually test things out during the week while in school. I'll DL it and give it a go Smile

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Cool

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Ifran, basically because the terrain is low res mostly its 256x256 in the game so useing the highest settings in photoshop was really a waste so i compressed then batch converted and compaired the end result in two separate installs useing the highest texture settings in the game and found that i could cut quite abit before there was any noticeable difference. in my first somme repaint i went for the highest settings and no compression which is why it's such a large file. I guess we just learn as we go and pass it on to the next guys and the game gets better. Some say that there is a limit to the texture size in the game and that the way the engine works means if you want large terrains you get super large files, for me the size is just right for WW1 especially the drop cam, rag wings are slower so it take longer to get any where and most of the rag wings only had 2-3 hours tops fuel except the zepps and bombers I find an hours a long time for a mission. However WW2 indropcam mode planes just shoot by way to quick to really get a good look and the jets are way to fast. The game to my mind naturally seems to suit WW1.
But as soon as some one cracks the high res tiles issues well be away again re painting Happy
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy9, you can texture in 1024x1024. I can set the SM file where it supports it and we can use 3dps method for texture reduction. Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
FlyXwire
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks wonderful Gypsy!

The changes in earthtones, and the more varied appearance really helps bring out the differences in elevation now (especially down low).

Very, very nice!!! Smile
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe its time to do a Somme from scratch i know that TG did alot of work and research into that. Lets face it guys Somme as it is now even re-painted is hopefully only a stopgap or stepping stone to a Somme thats not 3000ft AMSL and one that has 3D trenches, high rez textures, rivers with water, Lush forests as well as battle damaged ones shell holes with water at the bottom, canals, railways, etc etc. Its a major long term project to get the terrains up to the standard of the aircraft/vehicles. The somme now is about as far as is worth takeing it within the confines of it present limitations but having said that i'll bet that theres someone in or around OP thats even now bevering away with more developments Wink
Blacksheep
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to test out both the Somme and Dover repaints last night. I agree with FlyXwire about the variations in earth tones over both terrains, it really looks amazing from a few thousand feet to see so many color variations! I also flew down low to check it out and it still looks good Smile I didn't notice any bugs over the Somme, although it's difficult the fly over the whole thing in an EIII lol, but what I saw looked good!

"Fortune favors the bold" - Vergil
=V67= Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Do all the airfields work as they should?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tests with a squadron of 4 Se5a aircraft flown by AI...

Vaulx: They took off fine for awhile, then crashed when they flew over a nearby hill. I think skillful waypoint placement may cure that. The hill rises under them, they pull way up to avoid it and stall.

Bertincourt: They start wherever you place them in the ME, even though you select 'airfield' and 'Bertincourt Airfield' in Waypoints. This airfield is 'broken', the aircraft don't try to take off. If I use 8 aircraft, set to 'Vic' formation, and place them right on the airfield icon, #1 starts out right where you placed him, #2 and #3 behind him like they're in a 'Vic', and #s 4 - 8 line up directly behind #2 or #3. #1 taxis forward, and the rest taxi and politely form a line right behind him. #1 then continues to taxi straight ahead and right off the plateau the airfield is on... Well, I'll be d___ed! He ran right down the hillside, gathered speed, wobbled and TOOK OFF! #2 is airborne! #3 is airborne! I guarantee, though, that any German spy that watched this is laughing hysterically, tears rolling down his cheeks...

Banteux: I think this is my favorite, though it sits like it's in the bottom of a bowl. If we ever DO build another Somme model, we have to do something about putting airfields in low spots...

Neuville: I'm going to have to do this again with more aircraft, #4 looked like it had a tree RIGHT behind it... Other than that, it's a good looking airfield that 'works' properly. With 8 aircraft, #5 is ADJACENT to a tree, but was able to taxi away from it. #6 taxied right past it after pausing beside it waiting for #5 to take off, so too the next... Yes, this airfield works just fine.

Marquion: Still have the 8, and this is another favorite. The placement of trees and buildings is peerless, and the airfield sits atop a plateau. The AI uses it just fine. I really like how the flight line stretches down an irregular line/copse of trees, yet not so close as to think there may be a collision.

NOTES:

1) Only Bertincourt seems messed up, though Vaulx has problems with hills nearby.

2) All these aircraft made a sound right after liftoff that sounded like the shutter clicking on a 35mm camera. This click happened about 6 times, right in a row, then stopped.

3) When I made missions for 1914/1915, these aircraft tend to stall and fall on takeoff. The EIII can't manage an AI takeoff from Marquion. The SEs did fine. This problem seems pretty universal with the early aircraft, so I didn't use AI takeoffs for the most part.

Sorry it took so long to get you this feedback. I had a new computer to set up. Seems when I went to pick up my Thompson, and had it in my hands, the gunstore clerk said "Oh, my God, I can't sell this to you. Massachusetts state gun laws...". Mad So, it was time to upgrade. SDOE and the ME work fine on the new one... Rolling Eyes

WingChaps

Last edited by WingChaps on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
WingChaps
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, as I was writing the above, 24 Squadron was flying on over the landscape, and MAN this is a gorgeous terrain! Really nice looking!

WingChaps
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I need to fix Bertincourt then... That clicking sound you hear from the S.E.5a is the Lewis machine drop-down sound that is linked to the landing gear noise. (Iti s linked to this because the game has a sound coded for that option and I can't add extra sound code for any keypress Sad )

The early aircraft indeed do stall out too easily. The AI just wants to climb steep in these kites! These are NOT WW2 aircraft and the AI still thinks they are regardless of what parameters I give them... Sad I'm afraid there is NO fix for this at the moment other than to update the AI via the source code. VDU at present is the ONLY one who can do this for us. Sad Crying

Man that REALLY stinks about your gun!!! Can go physically go out of state and bring one back with you?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: