Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Medal Pack Betas

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDT
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Medal Pack Betas Reply with quote

Ok guys,

I struggled with this till I got sick of testing, and at that time I got sucked into an argument at theaerodrome.com, which unfortunately, got me back into Pacific Fighters as I was looking to record some tracks to later turn into a video for the purposes of demonstration, and as a result, I got sucked back into PF. You might have noticed me not around quite as much. lol

I was really hoping for some information on the problems I was encountering, but it seems that nobody else knows much more. I'm sure with continued testing diligence it would eventually be shaken out, but I don't have that kind of patience. So.........

I modified the German medal list to work around the inability to use 1000, 1250, and 1500 point triggers, and swapped in ridiculously high mission count triggers in their place. (so high for a reason. 14, 15, and 16 are top dog medals, and the idea was for those score levels to be required for a single mission to earn them. Nearly impossible. By design. However, anyone can rack up missions, so, I jacked the count up suitably high.)

And here they are -
http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/BritishMedalPack.zip
http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/GermanMedalPack.zip

Unzip either, or both, into your FS\Media\GUI directory. Each contains the appropriate nations medal art, and the gui.ppf and score.ppf files so that they will work. If you do both, just tell it to overwrite the ppf files, they are the same in each package.
(on a side note, I can't beleive how small they are, there's a total of 31 files there all told between the 2 archives Shocked )

I'm not entirely happy with what the GUI does to the fade of the images. It turns out that it actually zooms the image to larger than actual size. This, plus the basic nature of the image file itself changes it in a way that I wasn't thrilled with, but sadly, that's going to exist no matter what I do in Photoshop. Also, I swear that the Brit's fade isn't the same as the German's, but I just couldn't get it to match up right. (I tend to get mono-maniacal about this stuff and stress over every minute detail lol)

If you guys could, please give these a whirl, see how they look, and so on. I'm reasonably sure that they will all trigger as expected, thanks to my testing, but just in case....ya never know. lol

Any feedback at all would be great. Smile
DDT
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot - additional details -

Open your pilot files and remove the text next to the medal number. For example, "Great Britain/Medal#05.bmp" "Ord. British Empire", is telling the GUI to display medal #5 in the GB directory, and to put "Ord. British Empire" over the image to the left. Since I didn't like the font, or color, I put the medal name right on the image. This will look really bad unless you remove that. lol

All future earnings (including new pilot files) will have no text added by the GUI as I removed that from the score and gui ppf files. Its only existing pilots with existing awards that this is an issue for. (I'm thinking of a way to make this easy too, but that's not for now)

Also, when testing new pilots, it's a good idea to run a mission with little to no kills as sort of a training mission. Get the success, and you'll get your wings/badge. I raised the second german award to 3 kills from 2 to help prevent people from triggering the kills on their first mission (because kills trigger has presidence over mission count). But this still is something of an immersion thing anyway (to earn the wings first in a basic mission).
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...will give it a go. thanks DDT
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

No comments? Should I take that as a sign they are ready and should be released into the wild?
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I just downloaded this. I love the artwork!!! Like you said there are limitations but this will fill a hole in FS-WWI Nations for sure! Thanks for the hard work. Big Grin Hopefully you will still have the motivation to do the rest of the countries when the time comes. Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> FS-WWI Developers Area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: