Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Looking for Rudder Pedal / Throttle Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Looking for Rudder Pedal / Throttle Recommendations Reply with quote

I'm looking for advice / recommendations. I'm thinking about getting rudder pedals (I've had some small amount of flying real planes in the past before I got into sims and I just can't get comfortable twisting the yoke or hitting keys for rudder control), and possibly an extra throttle control (mostly for the extra programable fingertip accessible buttons). I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4, 2GHz, with 512MB PC800 RDRAM, basic Intel motherboard, BFG Tech GeForce 6200OC 256MB graphics, and an M$ Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick. Anyone have suggestions on anything that's not too pricey and compatable with SDOE and my stick? Do any pc/sim rudder pedals also have a brake function like real aircraft?

Tanx in advance,
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the CH pedals. They're not too expensive and have the toe brakes. As for the stick and throttle, I would go CH as well with that! Smile Should last you a very long time... IMO worth the extra $$!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Argon.

I've been doing some checking. Are any throttle controls sold separately, not in combination with a joystick that are worth getting? Or is it not much more $$ to get a joystick/throttle package anyways?

Tanx again,
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, not really. Saitek is the next best thing for your buck. But personally, I can't stand the way it looks! Sad I've got to have some controller realism.. Wink

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CH Pro Pedals... I have the Yoke also, but prefer the Saitek X45 Though the spring is a bit strong. (I really liked my Suncom.. Sad ) Please note, there IS a way to wire the CHPro pedals into the X45 and replace the "rocker" motion switch with real pedals... You should be able to find a full write up in the hardware section of SimHQ...

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love my Cougar with the TM Elite pedals... But my tastes I've been told are strange! Laugh It's all-metal and has strong springs... The padals are heavy duty plastic tho.. I need to get some Simped padals!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Always nice to come here to ask for info and recommendations Smile
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to give the Saitek X45 a try because it has the rudder rocker switch (from the write-ups I've read it is on the throttle controller, right?) vs the twist rudder control on the joystick of the X52. I just can't properly coordinate control of all 3 axis with my Sidewinder Precision 2 (or any other stick I assume). I find myself unintentionally giving it a 'twist of rudder' when all I want is to do a hard roll/bank. With the rudder control on the throttle controller I'm hoping the separation will prevent that. Any suggestions where I can pick up a new (not refurbed) X45 that still carries a warranty?

Tanx again,
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the specs for the X52 and I like the looks of the additional/expanded features compared to the X45. Does anyone know, with all the extra stuff on the X52 throttle, if one of them can be programmed and used like the rudder control on the X45 and then turn of the rudder twist control on the X52 stick? Some may think I'm being picky about this, Rolling Eyes but I really do have trouble keeping from unintentionally twisting my current stick, and then screwing up my flight attitude, when things get thick and I'm concentrating on getting/staying on an enemy fighter?s tail. I think separating the rudder control from my stick hand will alleviate that.
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, can anyone provide answers to my two previous posts?
Would be much appreciated!

Tanx again for your attention & time...
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue about where to pick up an X45... Sorry mate! They havne't made those for some time. Sad

You should be able to set up the axis as a rudder in SDOE but it might be a bit awkward.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Best Buy after work yesterday and checked out the X52. Looks like what I want. They sell it for $114. Anyone know a good/reliable place I can look for a better price?

Tanx again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: