Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Help Needed - Pc Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Help Needed - Pc Problems Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a hardware issue, driver problem or both but suddenly I'm getting major stuttering/pausing with anything using sound.

I could be playing an mpeg or listening to the music track of a game as it's loading like BF2 for example and then all of a sudden the sound stutters/distorts and slows down then speeds back to normal then distorts again. If I'm trying to load a game it takes forever because of this and the pc is struggling. If I play an Mpeg or similar video program it does the same thing, but if I then restart that same mpeg it'll play that video perfectly and at the right speed until it reaches where it was at before I restarted the track! It does this playing mp3s sometimes too. If I'm flying sdoe or anything else like that and another prog is running in the background then all the sounds start distorting for everything running and the pc feels like it's about to lock up and or die.

Thinking this was a sound issue I d/l and installed the latest drivers for my onboard sound but this didn't help at all.

Could it be a power supply issue? I did have to replace the power supply unit about 9 months ago and everything was working fine until this. The pc came with a 500W PSU but all I could get as a replacement was a 450W PSU but everything seemed to be working fine all this time.

Could it be a power supply issue to the Graphics Processor? Recently when I rebooted the pc an NVidia box popped up saying that the Graphics Processor wasn't getting enough power and that it would run at a profile to adapt to the power supplied and not to cause any damage to the hardware and to check all connections, but they seem fine and the card is working fine or so it seems.

Could this perhaps be a RAM issue? I have no idea. I'm not really sure where to go with this one. Any help or advise appreciated.
Cheers,
K2

My system Spec:
P4, 3 Gig CPU
ASUS P5S800-VM Motherboard
1 Gig Double DDR RAM
128M NVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot to add I have nothing overclocked on this system.

Cheers,
K2
Smokey
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas:

Not getting the old drivers completely deleted before installing the
new sound drivers?

Bad audio card/codec? Have you got a card out of another computer
or an extra card whatever you could stick in there and see if it would
work?

Hmmm. That's about all I can think of, driver problem or bad card.

BTW what kind of sound are you running? What kind of card or onboard
sound?
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smokey, thanks for your response. My MB has onboard sound. I do have another soundcard from my older PC so I might install it and see if it makes a difference.

Last night while flying a bombing mission in sdoe my turret gunners opened up on some 109's and as they did the sound distortion kicked in as each gunner fired and the pc was on the point of locking up. This is really starting to do my head in.

K2
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy check.. Disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and run games after booting into Windows. If they still studder, something else! Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Argon, appreciate your help. I think I may have found the cause or culprit. When I was fooling around in the Bios setup screen checking for the Onboard Sound I took a look in the Hardware Monitoring page and lo and behold I've discovered that my P4 CPU is running at 96.5 degrees C/205.5 degrees F. The figures are displayed in red text while all other readings are in blue text. MB temp is at 40 degrees C/104 degrees F and my CPU fan speed is running at a miserable 2636 to 2657 RPM. These figures are at idle so God know what they're up to when I run a game or play an mpeg! Me thinks my CPU is cooking but I don't know what the safe operating temps are for P4 CPU's so I'm gonna need to research that a bit. Also, I think that the std CPU Fan & Heatsink which came with the chip must be a bit dodgy. Surely this should be running at atleast 4000RPM? Anyway, maybe some new thermal paste applied to between the chip and the heatsink coupled to a bigger/better fan might fix the overheating problem and thus cure my pc of it's sound stuttering problem. Maybe it only appears as a sound stuttering issue when really, all along it's been my chip cooking and not handling the running apps?

Cheers,
K2
Blind_Faith
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you are right on the money with the overheating.

It looks like your CPU fan is dirty or broken.

You can test this with the free software called ThrottleWatch? it is the way the P4 protects itself from overheating.

download at: http://www.panopsys.com/Downloads.html

Clean everything inside and verify the fans (CPU, case and sometimes even Power supply) replace them as needed.

Good luck!
Cool
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blind_Faith, well I was pretty sure I was on the money too but I'm still being plagued by this bleedin' problem. Last night I ripped out the CPU and the heatsinc was very clogged with dust so I thoroughly cleaned it out and applied a new film of thermal paste and now my CPU is running between 62 and 82 degrees C which is a big improvement on 96.5! I also cleaned out the GPU heatsinc and fan and did the same with it but guess what? Same old problem with sound stuttering is still there with playing any game app or mpeg/mp3 file despite cleaning out the case and hardware!!! I couldn't believe it as I was sure the CPU overheating issue was the cause of the problem. So now it appears I have/had 2 or more probs possibly responsible. Funny enough too my CPU fan speed has now, after cleaning everything out, dropped down to 2109 RPM. I would've thought it would've increased in speed and thus given me better cooling.

Anyway, so this then got me thinking as to what else the problem could be and I then did a simple test. I copied an mpeg onto a usb drive and played it. It played as normal, flawlessly without stuttering or otherproblem which now leads me to believe that perhaps my HDD is on it's way out, either that or I have a virus that AVG hasn't detected or both! So the next test is now to chuck in another HDD and see what happens. One way or another, via the process of elimination, I will sort this bugger out!

Cheers,
K2
Huggybaby
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try something like this:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hddhealth.html

See if your hard drive is too hot or getting weak.
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Huggybaby, I d/l and fired it up. Reckons my Registry and other areas have 607 problems!!! I'm gonna need to get a full working version of the software though as the d/l, being shareware, will only fix 15 of those probs. Obviously my rig has some issues, just hope I can get it sorted prior to flying online this weekend with the infamous vegas duo!
Cheers,
K2
Huggybaby
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA, STOP Karaya_Two!

I don't know what happened, but you got the wrong program. HDD Health doesn't check your registry, it only monitors your hard drive, most importantly the temperature.

You shouldn't have to pay for any registry cleaner either! I use the free RegSeeker. I always run CCleaner first. Then, since you've cleaned the registry, defrag it with PageDefrag.

Quote:
Funny enough too my CPU fan speed has now, after cleaning everything out, dropped down to 2109 RPM. I would've thought it would've increased in speed and thus given me better cooling.
Your motherboard monitors CPU temperature and CPU fan speed. When the CPU is hot, the MB speeds up the fan. So, a hot system is also a louder system!
Karaya_Two
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!. Indeed I did get the wrong program! Anyway, have the correct one now. Quite a good utility that one. It says there's nothing wrong with my HDD so I guess it's back to the Registry.

With CCleaner & RegSeeker are these both registry cleaners or 2 different things? Either way, you'd always run CCleaner first, then RegSeeker, then PageDeFrag?

Cheers,
K2
Huggybaby
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in that order.
They do entirely separate things, with one overlap:

CCleaner removes a lot of junk (be careful what you remove though), and it also has a rudimentary registry cleaner which I run.

Then I run RegSeeker, which is a more aggressive registry cleaner.
I put a check next to all the Keys, then in Auto Clean I check everything and set it to run three passes.

The registry doesn't shrink when data is removed, so after that PageDefrag will tell you if there are any big holes left and you can run it if there are.

If you've never done this stuff before you should make a system restore point before starting.

Note that there are some knowledgeable people who don't do this but I think most do. If you do a regular XP install with updates (rather than a slipstream) you'll have over 1,000 registry entries to remove!

Note also that there are other utilities that do the same thing, these are the ones I use.

Huggybaby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: