Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
GENERAL FORUM ALERT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: GENERAL FORUM ALERT Reply with quote

Ordinarily October would start our war bonds drive. Sadly, I no longer have Internet access at all unless I can find a wireless connection point. This account has been paid for by the community through November.

I can no longer serve in the capacity I once did. I someone wants to take over the domain PM me and we will see ho to do this. Otherwise once the domain expires, the forum will shut down...

You are all my brothers, and it has been a privilege and honor to serve you all...

MACE - Wings Over Water and The SnickWerks will shut down in February if I remember...

Moe - If you are out there can you back up the site and burn it to CDs in case someone wants to move it??? (Can someone pass the above on to Moe please?)

If at all possible lets make this an orderly transition unlike some in the past...

Terry

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid

Last edited by Snick on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another forum somewhere if I remember right. Should I/we head over there? Or are the chances good that someone will take over for Snick?
oscar
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snick - I m sad to hear you cannot continue in this capacity for the community.
Now - please be more specific. Is this a question of money - or is it a question of Internet access for you?

Do we need a new War Bonds Manager or do we need money?

And - what is the total cost for having the site up for one more year?

I would really HATE to stand by and see our home disappear. #evil
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want this to be the end of OPS. For the past seven years this site has always been there for me. I'm always hoping there is 'future' associated with SDOE.
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little digging and found the hosting firm. Based on things I found searching the forums, it costs 14.95/Mo ($180 US) (Paid a year in advance) to keep this site up and running per year. Somehow I dont think Snick got that much in the War Bonds drives and took it on himself to "eat" the difference.

It is a testament to Snick that this forum has been up longer and more reliably that any of the others. I suspect thats why he went with something that was not bottom of the line. He wanted us to have a good home and we have. (Thank you Snick, even though I mostly just lurk...)

From what I read in his post he is giving someone the chance to take over the domain. THat means someone else becomes (as he called it) the "owner of record". Billing would probably go to this person... BUt it will cost $180 (US) That I think is the down side.

One day if I am lucky, I will chase him again and we will see which is better. My shooting or his sometimes amazing skill at low level flying. (He pulled me into the ground more than once and it was sometimes a joy to watch him maneuver when the next guy closed on him...), and his mission "Canyons of the Mind" must rank near the top.
oscar
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work - so now we know the amount of trouble we are in.
Snick not having Internet adress means we need a new "site owner", hopefully willing to collect war bonds. Second problem is raising the money.
I know Snick was very careful about not disclosing individual contributions - and I think he was right about that. Problem now is we have to act fast and come to a decision point within a couple of weeks. Any volunteer fr the "site owner"? Should be someone who has been around a while. (and I am NOT a candidate).
But I can make a pledge about the money needed. Im willing to contibute with 90$ - so half the financial problem i solved.

Thank you Snick for staying so long on the jobb!
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it weren't for FS-WWI hosting, I would be more than happy to take over ownership of this site. As it is, I pay about 80.00 a year now to keep that site going. I will juggle my finances on paper and really look into this place. It would be a shame to lose OPS!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I can help, will look how things are near the end of th emonth and might be able to swap things over and host the site and razerworkz together.

snick, any chance on getting the whole site on a CD (or DVD)

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated $10 to each of the War Bonds drives. If need be I'll happily give $20 to help keep the site going. With oscar's $90 that only leaves $70. Unfortunately I don't have the time and where with all to do much more.
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
Jerry
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think money is the issue. We have always been able to raise it. The problem is getting someone else to host it.
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the status? Anything new?
Moebius
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERAL FORUM ALERT Reply with quote

Snick wrote:

Moe - If you are out there can you back up the site and burn it to CDs in case someone wants to move it??? (Can someone pass the above on to Moe please?)

Hi to all. Of course Snick, it shouldn't be a problem for me to provide the Site files and database dump in case someone should come along to take the contents of this site somewhere else.

Still, I'm more than willing to provide 50? (that's more than 50 dls) to keep the tradition alive.

I've been very busy lately (sheesh, has been more than a year) with the conclusion of my degree and the start of my professional life. I haven't been around as much as I would have liked to be, specially for keeping those hackers away from the front page.

I've learned a lot from a year of work in an IT consultant job, some skills could be used around here, but unfortunately I no longer have the necessary time to do them. I have to think in months now, rather than in days, so planning anything on my behalf can be tricky.

Any way, just to say to this wonderful community that they can count on me for support.

Salut all!

PS: Terry, if necessary email-me at romeu[dot]figueira[at]gmail[dot]com
CBR
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... time is running out what do we need to do to keep this site alive and running
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to stand up and be willing to take the load, or at least the billing. I havent gotten any notices from Netfirms yet so I suspect there is about a month. (Sometime in November...)
BTW - Shadow OPS had it dead on. Thats exactly the cost , and I just gave away the name of the company (though its not hard to find if you know the domain name... Wink Some one needs to stand up and do what I did. Grab the bull by the horns. The exchange needs to be coordinated so the domain transfers. To date there have been zero takers...

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid
Klaus
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Location: OH, USA . Near Wright-Patterson AFB & the National Museum of the USAF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snick, two questions:
1. How much of your time, hours/min per day/week/month, does the job take up?
2. How much were you able to raise on average each year with the War Bonds drives?
2. Don't go near the edges of it.
3. Edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees & outer space. Its much more difficult to fly in the edges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: