Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
OK, so I faked the falling snow

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Downloads WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3dp
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: OK, so I faked the falling snow Reply with quote

Still looks cool though!

With December half over, I decided to make this a January calendar. Use (or not) as desired!

Happy Holidays!

Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice 3dp. Was there any attempt at making snow/rain etc for SDOE?
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of.

That said, I think that as a rule during WW2, significant rain or snow grounded aircraft.
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, I think that as a rule during WW2, significant rain or snow grounded aircraft. With the exception PBYs which flew in all weather.. Wink (Sorry, couldnt resist getting a plug in for the old girl... Wink )

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized the other day that the PBY as flown in Canada was called the Canso - civilian versions of that were all over the place (well, so it seemed - there might have just been one or two making regular appearances) when I was small, growing up on the west coast. [The smaller Grumman Goose and Republic Seabee (pusher) were more common. All of them were sufficiently unusual to be remarked upon, unlike the De Havilland Beaver and Cessna floatplanes which seemed to infest every body of water long enough for them to land.] I know the ones I saw didn't have the blisters on them, but I can't remember anything else about them, beyond learning their name - I was very young. Pretty sure they were a civilian transport running a scheduled service. I spent a while websearching to see if I could figure out what air service would have been using them, but didn't get anywhere. I was able to determine that the RCAF had about 60 PBYs over the years, and I know that by the mid sixties they had been replaced by the Grumman Albatross, which is the only amphibian I remember seeing in RCAF colours in my youth, but other than units sold to Ontario and Quebec for waterbombing, I haven't been able to find out where the rest got to (I suppose there was substantial attrition during the military service, as well).
Snick
Chief of Staff (ret)
Chief of Staff (ret)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBY4s and prior did not have blisters.. They had a sliding piece with a slit in it (poor visibility)

Yes Canada flew Cansos. Russians flew GSTs. They were all built under license.. Wink Something that IL2 never got straight... LOL

"I once made a diving attack on Snick and ended up as a hole in the ground" - Skid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Downloads WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: