Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Living in a 4:3 World but on a 16:9 monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeBoles
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Living in a 4:3 World but on a 16:9 monitor Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to get this to work for a year and a half, and it has stopped me playing Red Baron and Fighter Squadron. Essentially all my old games in 4:3 format get stretched by my monitor.

I want 4:3 ratio picture on my widescreen monitor (a Viewsonic 1912WB) for my desktop computer. I need this for the old 4:3 games such as Red Baron, Fighter Squadron, and I am sure there are many others which have this problem. None of these games have a "widescreen" option within them.

Fiddling with the Monitor:
The Viewsonic doesn't have a "no scaling" hardware option that I can find.

Fiddling with FS:SDOE:
Changing the options including "AllowAllResolutions" (or something similar) still leaves me with the problem.

Playing with the Video Card:
I have tried ALL of the Digital Flat Screen Scaling settings of my nVidia geForce 6600GT with drivers updated approx 3 months ago. (I use a DVI connection which nVidia demands.) My current setting is "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling" (the thumbnail diagram shows vertical bars down the sides of the screen exactly as I want them to be). I then choose a new 4:3 resolution (say 1024*768), and the Viewsonic stetches the Desktop back to 16:9 shape, blurs the icons, and stretches them.

I have tried this with other monitors e.g. Samsung, at the local computer shops and I know that they perform as expected ... a nice 4:3 Desktop appears with black bars down the edge of the screen. (But I have not loaded up any games on their computers.) I have no trouble with my laptop with the same settings.

Can the forum readers please let me know what monitors they are using with success in preventing unwanted stretch and still producing nice clear pictures. (If I were a Lara Croft fan, she would be a lot wider than she "really" is - no fun at all.)

With thanks for your help,
Mark.
P.S. It is good to find such an active FSSDOE site. The SimHQ one is very empty, and I thought I was the only person in the world still playing the game ... on my laptop - unstretched - which works just fine, but I don't have rudder pedals for that computer Sad
Recon3
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George, I have a ViewSonic (22") monitor too but have basically just am resolved to watching the game stretched. Have you tried playing around with the buttons at the front of the monitor itself? Not sure if that's the answer but if you can't change it in the user software, you might be able to manually change the aspect ratio
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem with DVI connections sometimes... You need to be sure you have the correct driver loaded for your monitor (No Plug and Play or Generic). Once you've done that if you are using an NVIDIA card, this is where to go:

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> *Your Card* -> Digital Flat Panel Settings. You need to select "Fixed aspect ratio scaling". (It looks like you've got that, but check again after updating the monitor drivers)

Does your monitor have a VGA out? Does your vid card have a VGA in? Or is it DVI only?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GeorgeBoles
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: New Monitor for me Reply with quote

Dear ArgonV, Recon3 and Others,

Many thanks for your thoughts everyone. I have studied this in a bit more depth at the local computer shop now and can tell you what I have found.

At my local computer shop I have tried FOUR different monitors now on the one computer (with nVidia graphics card): two ASUS where proper 4:3 scaling worked (and they HAD a 4:3 ratio setting on the OSD which had to be set carefully in conjunction with a number of possibilities on the nVidia card ... depending on whether the signal was DVI-digital or HDMI), one Viewsonic where it worked without any special settings on the OSD, and 2 HP monitors - one which allowed 4:3 and the other didn't. Neither of the HP monitors had a 4:3 ratio setting on the OSD that I could find - the one just seemed to work, and the other didn't despite an exhaustive search for OSD settings to help. (At a different shop, I also tried an LG one one computer - very easy to get it to work, and a Viewsonic on another computer - also very easy ... no OSD manipulations at all that I had to do.)

I think therefore that I will purchase a new monitor, give my old Viewsonic to one of my kids, and buy a TrackIR Pro for myself - just for fun.

With thanks to all,

Mark_W

P.S. ArgonV I have an RGB D-sub input and the DVI-I (digital) input, but the driver information from nVidia used to say very clearly I have to use the DVI-I. (Flat Panel scaling options were greyed out or not shown at all unless the DVI connection was used.) I have not searched their info again, but I really cannot imagine them re-writing code for analogue output to a monitor. (Am not at home for another week, so will be unable to finalize checking.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> Hardware and Drivers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: