Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
FS-WWI Plans for the Future!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: FS-WWI Plans for the Future! Reply with quote

Hello all!!

I've been thinking where next to take the FS-WWI mod after we finalize the current All-In-One installer (Still in the works. Waiting on a couple of things).

This next go-around I want to focus more on the ground unit offerings. More WW1 artillery for the British and Germans, as well as more field ground units like small trucks, horse drawn carts and such.

I also want to expand the WW1 navy. There were many battleship types and troop transports used. Also many civilian liners that were converted over to troop transports.

Mossie has offered up some of his models and textures after he wraps up the RS mod for Targetware. His offerings should give us a good jump-start in the ground unit arena of FS-WWI.

I also want to focus more on the WW1 terrains. Albert is the next WW1 terrain needing many updates. Currently I would like to fix the double front lines area at the bottom of the terrain as well as fix the placement of many buildings in the towns and airfields. I also want to replace the bridges with greater detailed models with hi-res textures. As with Somme, I want to add farms, front line fields of battle and balloon bases on both sides of the front.

What else would the community like to see in FS-WWI that has not been mentioned here?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Argon,
Yeah I agree Albert needs to get that double front line sorted. It's been a while since i've visited this site I still get into Openplane WW1 I'm wondering if the engine could deal with a higher res terrain along the lines of cf3 OFF 3 or have we hit the limit of this engine? looking back it has come a very long way.
I can still recall my joy when i found out that WW1 aircraft were being introduced to the game. My feeling is that this game has still got loads to offer the models are superb I just wish that the terrain could be a bit more detailed interms of resolution.

Happy landings
Gypsy
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gypsy9! It is good to see you around here again mate!

If you haven't gotten the chance yet, please take a look at the Somme and Snowy Somme Terrain improvements (There's a thread here on OPS). There are many hi-res tiles now around the airfields, towns and targets. Regarding Albert, I have begun work on this terrain and I did fix the double front lines already. I'm starting on airfield building placement, then on to the towns.

Please check out Plane Pack 5 when the All-In-One installer is released. I think you will be very pleased with how far it has come! Happy

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gypsy9
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilco Argon V i look forward to downloading it all sounds good to me.

Happy landings

Gypsy
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good good! Smile Maybe you and I can get FS-WWI swinging again with some more new content down the road?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Harman
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ArgonV, I'd love to get my WWI Driveable vehicles finished to a high quality soon and added to the WWI content. So far progress has been veery slow from my end but I intend to change that.

I've just fresh installed a new SDOE installation and intend to make that my WWI install. I'm yet to grab the FS WWI Pack v5 but after getting the customised 1.6.0.6 patch and running that I'm quite excited to see how far all the WWI stuff has come! Cool

Anyway, lots of work to do here from my end, so I better get back to it heh.

Cheers!

www.harmanmotorworks.com - if it's driveable and it's SDOE, it's here!!

Last edited by Harman on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!! Smile The good thing about that is the WW1 vehicles are of a pretty high standard. If you intend to install the latest and greatest why not go for the All-In-One offering? It has everything and you need not install anything else (Game CD or any Patches).

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Harman
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The good thing about that is the WW1 vehicles are of a pretty high standard

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Cool I might look into the All In One pack actually. I currently have to put up with a dreadfully slow broadband connection here though, does the WWI Mod CD has the All In One offering too?

Cheers Very Happy

www.harmanmotorworks.com - if it's driveable and it's SDOE, it's here!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not updated the WW1 mod CD yet.. I have a few pending orders to sort. But yes, the idea is it will be a one click deal.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way to expand the map to include Verdun, Marne, and Alsace terrains?

Also I'd like to see a better representation of the airfields near and around the Arras area, which also isn't placed on the map. I'm thinking Boiry St Martin, La Bellevie, Bertangles, and Fienvilliers.

just some thoughts, I also have the original printed maps to Flying Corps Gold, if you need some assistance.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

No plans right now... I'm horrible at building terrains, so I have not tackled maps at all other than the revamped Somme map FS-WWI uses now. And even that revamp took me forever. Really terrains for SDOE are a three person job. One person to build the simple mesh, another person to place objects and such and a final person to texture it all.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Razer
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can do the mesh and texture but i can't seem to get things in game to work.

I've had a new pacific control tower for years but never got it to work in game.

Coming Soon: FSHangar.org
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's something to do with how OL-9 tools handles complex meshes... I have yet to figure it out.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was on Targetware's development team and had done a lot of additional airfields for the Western front terrains for my own personal offline mission version.

I don't know the first thing about creating terrains from scratch for game engines, but can you expand FS-WWI terrains out larger?

I ask because I'd made a Richthofen's Skies, Fall, 1916 campaign of the historic and famous Alsace/Lorraine area, French GC25 (Happe's Bomber group), plus Esc Americaine, ( the later Lafayette Escadrille..) plus RNAS #3, in a combined group bombing raid of the Mauser factory in Obendorf.

This raid ends up crossing the Vosges mountains and Black Forest from Luxeil and Epinal. In overweight, underpowered old Farmans, Sopwith half Strutters, and Breguet Michelins. It's nearly 400 miles round trip and crosses mountains nearly 4500 feet in height.

It would make a cool addition to FS-WWI
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limitation with the sdoe terrain renderer is that tiles have to be square, and planted across the terrain like a checkerboard, and usually 1024 on a side - I don't know if that's a hard constraint; and I forget what the correspondence is between texture pixel and 3D world distance. Was it 1km per tile square? Total terrain filesize is no longer the issue it once was, so it isn't such a daunting prospect to consider generating a large swath of terrain; but it's still best if the tiles can be contrived such that they can be reused, and that's tricky when they are planted as a checkerboard - it takes a fair amount of cleverness to conceal the joints, especially on flat plains where your view takes in many squares tiling into the distance. Mountainous terrain is better in some ways, in that the joints might be harder to detect, but you probably want different vegetation on hills and valleys, and as mountains don't come in checkerboard layouts, you'd have a bit of a challenge matching the tiles to the mesh. Perhaps smaller tiles would be the way to go, there. Certainly, inland is easier than shoreline, where you pretty much have to have a unique set of tiles drawing out the entire coast unless you want to go with something cheesy like a Civilization style shoreline tile solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: