Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Hail Argon and crew
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wailwulf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Hail Argon and crew Reply with quote

Bought a new computer to replace one I though had died (instead had wiped the HD of 320 GB of images, music, and other creative stuff, but that is a new story.

But FS-WWI runs fantastic on the new rig. My old rig (3ghz IntelPent 4 with a Nividia 8400GS) took for ever to render the terrain which made the game very ugly to look at, so hadn't flown it much. But I always liked how the planes seemed to fly when maneuvering against an opponent, it felt that the movement of the other planes compared to mine were real.

Well, my new computer (Intel 2.5ghx Duo with integrated Intel Graphics) renders the terrain quickly and smoothly. Which makes me want to fly this sim. The problem (and it is me more then the sim) is figuring out the controls, especially for looking around.

One thing that would be cool is if Track IR could be incorporated into the game. I have been using it for IL-2 and it is fantastic and keeps the headache of needing to press keys on a keyboard while flying down.

US95Gabi created a utility that allowed one to either use a mouse or Track IR to look around in RB3d. FS-WWI has mouse look available, which makes me think that to get track IR to replace the mouse inputs should be feasible for at least the pitch and yaw movements of the camera. (I could use the mouse if I had two right hands and my left, but I'm not a muttant Smile )

US95Gabi is a member of US 95 Kicking Mules and might be able to help in this venture, at least know how he did it for RB3D. I was able to get a hold of him at his squadron's site when Filefront deleted his files. http://www.us95th.org/index.html

Just an Idea Smile

S!

When in doubt, Charge! Just ask the light brigade.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Glad you can enjoy the sim now. Smile Jerry had a similar problem with the terrain causing slowdowns. Turns out his graphics card was on the way out.

As for TrackIR, I do not have the source code for SDOE to add TrackIR support on the game level. But you are correct in that SDOE can use mouse panning. If you have the correct version of TrackIR, and the mouse panning enabled via FS-WWI's keyboard.inp file it should work. Just enable TrackIR mouse panning.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried this. Started mouse emulation and minimized it. I commented out the ; in front of ;inpviewPanXAnalog and ;inpviewPanYAnalog in the keyboard.inp file and turned down my mouse sensitivity and pressed the F11 key to disable TrackIR. Then I started FS-WWI and flew a mission. I made sure my view of the cockpit was centered and then pressed F12 to center the TrackIR, then F11 to reenable it. I can pan around well, though not great. Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Last edited by ArgonV on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wailwulf
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

The actual program doesn't have the mouse emulation, it is a secondary program, so didn't look for it. Will give it a try. If it is as good as what Track IR does for RB3D it will be great. Unlike IL2 and RB, the plaines in FS-WWI seem more easily identifiable visually.

When in doubt, Charge! Just ask the light brigade.
Jerry
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV, is there an easy way for me to disable my ATI card and run the Intel integrated graphics on my machine? It may be worth taking a few extra steps to be able to have decent SDOE screens, even it were to slow my FPS.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intel onboard might be disabled in your system BIOS. I would check that first. If not, then just go to Device Manager and disable your ATI card and plug your monitor into the onboard Intel VGA port.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Jerry
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I did all that. Device Manager confirmed that I was using the onboard video. Unfortunately, SDOE would not load Missions. It would get to the last checkmark box and crash, leaving a compatibility error message from Vista. Sad I tried turning down screen resolution and texture size thinking I was overloading the onboard video memory, but that didn't help. Any thoughts?
Smokey
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, I'm pretty sure that's something with the game and not your
computer. I can't remember what the fix is though. I think there are
some cache files you can delete and let the game rebuild them. You
can also try running your desktop at the same resolution as the game.
Skid
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Smokey is right, I see something exactly like this on my XP Pro system when I'm constantly starting and stopping the game to test planes (or video settings !). Eventually the game will say it's had enough, and stop loading missions.

Try deleting from your C:\....\Media directory cache.tex and cache.dir. You could also get rid of clut.cac (love that name), but I don't think it affects anything. They are there to speed up the loading of missions, but can get corrupted. The game will rebuild them the next time you load a mission, and will therefore take slightly longer to load it.

The other cause of this is when I don't have something that is part of the mission, a plane or something. But if you're seeing it on all missions I doubt that's the problem.
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have vista, nor laptop onboard graphics, but I know this from people trying to get BoB2 working with vista: the usual recipe is to set "disabling visual themes and desktop composition in the compatibility tab of the exe, and running in administrator mode"
Smokey
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The other cause of this is when I don't have something that is part of the mission, a plane or something. But if you're seeing it on all missions I doubt that's the problem."

Yes, this is starting to ring a bell. Doesn't this have to do with having the
latest property files or the mission won't load?
Jerry
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missions load when I am using my video card. It's when I switch to the onboard integrated video that they don't load.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, are you running in D3d?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Jerry
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Open GL, like you recommended a way back.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Intel chip might not be able to handle SDOE's OpenGL... It is a MUCH lower spec graphics card unlike the ATI offering. Might be worth a try to switch to D3d and see what happens. Smile OpenGL generally does run better and look better with SDOE though, but since SDOE's graphics engine is so old it is not up to the current OpenGL standard/spec.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: