Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Driveable ground units and the engineTarget property?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Driveable ground units and the engineTarget property? Reply with quote

It's something that caught my attention when reading over the OpenPlane manual, I noticed while messing about with the AEC trucks.

You have the option of 'wheel or 'prop, yet both of the AEC units are hidden prop driven.

Is there a reason for this?

Has Harman done any "FM"'s for his vehicles using a wheel as the motive transfer to ground? I see lots of possibilities if this is an unexplored part of the ground vehicle drive modeling. Actual multi-speed, geared drives with shifting seems possible.

Or has this been done and tossed because it doesn't work, I haven't found much discussion about it.
Shadow OPS
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find a copy of the "Funky Truck" from someone and see how it was dont I believe that was was the 1st ground vehicle and from Parsoft (like Bessie)
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we ever got the engine to drive a wheel. Which is why Harman made it driven by invisible props...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Funky Truck had a prop...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat astray off this topic, but does anyone still have a copy of the original version of the tank, I think it may have been the Tiger II, I forget, it's so long ago, which was in the first user planepack (or so), which was later rebuilt simpler because it was such a complex object that it dragged the game to a crawl back ten years ago? It was an amazing beast, with dozens of individually articulated rotating wheels, and if you blew it up, wheels and gears would spin off in all directions, and you would later come across individual wheels still rolling across the landscape. I wonder if it would be not overwhelming for the current generation of processors.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV's comment reminds me of when you crashed among all of the birds you were recently having a furball with, that there's always some pair of wheels wandering about in a circle. If you were in the gunner's seat of a two seater it's good target practice. This sim has lots of neat quirks. Cool

I intend to make Bert Frobe proud, never say die, 'like any good German Officer, we consult the OPS Book of Instructions! Step one, Sit down!'

Lots of interesting old Brass Era race car images are out on the web, I've been doctoring up Mossie's old Model T in anticipation of making this wheel drive idea fly, er drive. Cool
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Argon I have to ask, what is the 3D program the Funky Truck is pictured in? And also your images of planes in development in OPS, the background has that soft edge between the 'grass' and the 'sky'.

Sort of couldn't help noticing, is that some super custom OPS?

Speaking of which, I discovered that you can size inertia boxes with the mouse in OPS, for those who don't know, Targetware had you manually edit in the damn hit boxes. Crying
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some teasers, this should be in the Pioneering thread..

Cheers
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow awesome pics there mate! You are really getting the hang of this. Happy

I'm not 100% sure what program that truck is in. The pic is from Mighty and Chad, programmers of the original sim. The OPS screenshots I post have a background edited by Recon3, you can edit the BMP file in the OPS folder.

Yes you can size and scale inertia cylinders and boxes via the mouse. There's a uniform scale button and a scale on axis button. You do have to hand type the collision point locations in though via edit properties as text...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Skid
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ! Not only are you building "Those Magnificent Men....", you're also starting on "Monte Carlo Or Bust" Smile
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what program that truck is in. The pic is from Mighty and Chad, programmers of the original sim.

Ah, that would explain it - I'm thinking it looks rather like a 90's x-window display, so some form of Unix, maybe Linux.
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to have the engine target an "axle" with wheels.........
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skid wrote:
Cool ! Not only are you building "Those Magnificent Men....", you're also starting on "Monte Carlo Or Bust" Smile

Well the intent is to populate the Brooklands track and airfield, the Ford T is just a tryout for functional shifting, as you can edit into the engine's gearing ratios. I played around with the AEC AA truck, it's a wee bit twitchy at an indicated 70 mph.

The present driveables are like driving a car with an automatic in limp mode, needs more directness.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
Wow awesome pics there mate! You are really getting the hang of this. Happy *..snip....*

Yeah getting there, still have the stupid shading problems, something about the surface normal's subtle angles that gets munched in the transfer through two conversions. It was a small problem in TW that I though I had controlled.

Still trying to get the front end geometry and all the pedals and controls in the interior to work. I thought I had a good idea of how the dofID 'xxxx system worked?!? Confused I can place and align DOF's like a pro.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally got the "T" which I've named 'Vera', somewhat drivable. I'm still working with the prop drives until I can find a wheel drive combo that doesn't crash the game at loading.

Took a little tour into no-man's land, Shocked It's amazing how quickly a trio of German tanks can disassemble an un-armoured civilian vehicle. What was funny was they shot the front wheels off first, then she ground to a halt, at which they proceeded to blow various body bits away, somewhat leisurely, but quite accurately, and yet left the rain cover roof intact. Laugh

Maybe I'm not a pro at aligning DOFs, the front end at speed looks like a Jalopy from a 1930's Max Schlesinger cartoon. I kind like it even though it looks rough and quite amusing at 63 mph. Yeah I think Vera is a little too-o fast.. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: