Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Driveable ground units and the engineTarget property?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skid
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesterBoffo wrote:

Well the intent is to populate the Brooklands track and airfield, the Ford T is just a tryout for functional shifting, as you can edit into the engine's gearing ratios. I played around with the AEC AA truck, it's a wee bit twitchy at an indicated 70 mph.

The present driveables are like driving a car with an automatic in limp mode, needs more directness.

I visited Brooklands (or what's left of it) during the summer. You don't get much of an idea of what the airfield was like, there's only a hangar or two, but the section of banked track that's left is very, very impressive.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that OPS 1.30 is at best questionable for doing DOFs. I don't know why I can't seem to remember this simple fact.

I also wish you could turn off the perspective view in OPS, the damn fish-eye lens effect is murder for making alignments. Yeah, I'm whingeing about a freeware program. Embarassed
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skid wrote:

I visited Brooklands (or what's left of it) during the summer. You don't get much of an idea of what the airfield was like, there's only a hangar or two, but the section of banked track that's left is very, very impressive.

If I ever do get to visit England again, Brooklands is one of the 'must see' places on my itinerary, along with Old Warden.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Lester and Vera do the Bridges of Marqion Reply with quote

Just to test the suspension and the tweaks to the prop drives, The wheel drive property still crashes the game at aircraft loading. Maybe it's not possible. I'm a little verklempt... Sad

I took Vera across No-man's land, it was easy, though I did get shot at again by the German tanks, but through skillful dodging and Vera's rather fleet speeds we made it unscathed.

The first bridge I tried was the brick arched road bridge, but it's initial pitch is too steep and Vera did not want to climb the grade. You have to make a run at it and you end up breaking a wheel off. We tried the the Railroad Bridge, and it was not as daunting, and especially if you get a run at it, you can get a little air under the wheels when you make the transition to level.

Taking it at speed makes the game play the landing gear stress .wav and Vera bounces in a most entertaining way.

Of course I got really confident and decided to find new places to explore, how about the loading dock at the train depot?

I think that with some small adjustments the prop drive can be made to climb grades, I was trying to keep to using the prototypical power levels of an early Model T, which is only about 20 h.p. which it does manage to do OK with the prop drives, but the trade offs are either glacially slow and able to climb most grades from a standstill, or realistically fast and having to take a run at most grades. Still not sure how to implement multiple speeds with the prop drive... I'm thinking that some sort of prop pitch change or a selection of different hidden prop targets.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story there! Yeah you really have to watch out for those tanks... Even when you are flying around low to the ground. Wink Indeed OPS v1.30 can mess up the DOFs if the mesh and part have been rotated too many times (Which happens a lot) so I turn off Parse Proplists in the OPS options and open up OPS v1.4ish and do my DOF work in there. DOF 1.4 exists because of this DOF misalignment issue...

You should be able to add a wiredrag airfoil to the car to have it not able to pick up as much speed (Look at existing WW1 kites for this airfoil off of the main fuselage). How do the AECs have their engine setup? You could try different prop elements.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I added the wiredrag object after reaching almost 70 on a slight downhill. Seems to need inordinate amounts of drag, I've got almost 20 sq feet!

I tried Vera out in the Dover terrain, no-one said that Thornbridge airfield was completely enclosed by fencing! I spent a half hour running in circles trying to find an exit.

Parse Proplists? I hope this doesn't munch proplists as you mentioned 1.43 does.. Sad The biggest problem I have presently is that I can't seem to keep the wheel's original XYZ axis alignments when importing the wheel lods and the front wheels come into their parent wheel turn parts with an arbitrary "X" alignments. that are a bastidge to undo. And what the heck is the rimRide obFunction all about? I could not get the wheels to do anything without this addition. Too bad Harman isn't active anymore.

Oh and thanks for the encouragement, I realize I tend to b!tch a bit about things OPS related.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rimRide function simulates blowing the tires out and running on the rims... I could be wrong though! Functions can be named just about anything you want them to be. If you remove a function, you've also got to remove the code elsewhere that calls that function.

Just try adding more drag area to that airfoil. Sometimes fudging the numbers yields the best results. This sim doesn't calculate microdrag or turbulence to the surrounding environment, and it models a very simple friction. So a bit of fudging the numbers is needed...

A lot of the airfields have fencing... Sad Luckily I didn't add any to the WWI airfields! Wink

The best way I've found to do wheels is to import them, Reset X Form them, then rotate and count the number of keyboard taps on one then do the same to the next wheel the same number of taps. Also, I think the many objects that make up the wheels on the AEC are oriented different ways in AC3d so when you import it all is the right orientation in OPS. But it's been a long time since I've looked at the AECs...

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably doesn't help that I've imported the .lods for the steering axles/kingpins with the proper caster, and kingpin inclination. I'm trying to keep to the car's handling 'feel' correct, and in that aspect I think I've managed to do it in some small ways.

The tire size and contact patch are what you'ld expect for a narrow wheeled, short wheel base, relatively light vehicle. Vera tends to lose traction when cornering hard with a bit of understeer, and you can pull off the neatest four wheel drifts... right before the wheels dig in and flip you on your top. Shocked

To have the added dynamic of wheel torque to create wheelspin in cornering, so you can't just hammer the throttle into a turn and expect to not have bad things happen.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:

The best way I've found to do wheels is to import them, Reset X Form them, then rotate and count the number of keyboard taps on one then do the same to the next wheel the same number of taps. Also, I think the many objects that make up the wheels on the AEC are oriented different ways in AC3d so when you import it all is the right orientation in OPS. But it's been a long time since I've looked at the AECs...

Ok there's a couple of buttons on the edit toolbar, the 3 DOF axis re-aligners, one says it doesn't align a dof with it's owner's axis, it changes the statusbar's values to be relative to the parent?? Confused

One calls itself reset matrix? does this happen relative to the parent or the part? And what about the greyed out 3 buttons called 'Excersize the current DOF?' It gets a bit convoluted for my wee brain to grasp at times.

Yeah I'm using the AEC's base model and a fair bit of it's original power systems and wheel alignments. I looked at a few of the AEC's bits in AC3d before converting the Ford T just to make sure I didn't misalign something. The rear wheels imported just fine with little extra trouble using 1.30 and they rotate dead true, which I can't say the front ones do.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be when you click on the object a red rectangle appears right of the align DOF on axis buttons. It will orient the object based on the orientation it has when it was exported from AC3d. It will use the parent objects X,Y,Z center as the center of its plane. When you reset the X form, reload the SM file for its final "resting place". The DOFs will have to be redone once that happens as they don't "stick" to the original orientation of the object in OPS. Those greyed out buttons have never worked. I think they were "planned" features that were never implimented.

When you exported the front wheels, are you sure they are perfectly centered and symmetrical in terms of geometry?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV wrote:
It should be when you click on the object a red rectangle appears right of the align DOF on axis buttons. It will orient the object based on the orientation it has when it was exported from AC3d. It will use the parent objects X,Y,Z center as the center of its plane. When you reset the X form, reload the SM file for its final "resting place". The DOFs will have to be redone once that happens as they don't "stick" to the original orientation of the object in OPS. Those greyed out buttons have never worked. I think they were "planned" features that were never implimented.

When you exported the front wheels, are you sure they are perfectly centered and symmetrical in terms of geometry?

Yahbut.... which button izzit?.. Laugh It's the Reset Matrix button?

Well the wheels were all made from the same 'mother' piece in Metasequoia, as perfectly centered as AC3d will allow. I mean when all the wheels, (which were all centered and aligned like the AEC wheel LOD I imported to check against..) were unhidden in AC3d they looked like just one wheel except the front ones had the center 'drumbrake/hub' bit removed. I strive for rechecking alignment and symmetry, OPS has too many pitfalls for such a simpleton as myself.

Thanks again.
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was saying I'm looking at brass era racers..

ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic!

Ok, if the wheels have centered geometry it's got to be the DOF then.

If you hover the mouse over the red rectangle, it's called Reset XForm. It's the only red button you see when looking at OPS.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: