Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Made a new FM for the British Flyable Obs Balloon

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Made a new FM for the British Flyable Obs Balloon Reply with quote

I been tinkering with some of the ground objects in FS-WWI lately, but I wanted to make the flyable Brit ObsBalloon a little more challenging for the attacking Axis aircraft, so I've made it a lot more stable, given it a bit more wing area so it floats more, and it now can climb and dive, but somewhat slowly.

It now can be flown over the front although it's so slow that the flak usually knocks out the hidden engines our scores a direct FOOM! and it's a big smudge streak headed earthwards. The best thing is to turn loose a few Halberstadts in attack mode nearby while you're piloting it.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'm really surprised you took the time. Smile No one has ever really given me any feedback on the flyable balloons. They are left over from the very early days of OP-WWI (Before it was called FS-WWI). RVW did the current models of the balloons, but before we replaced them Pete Hawk did the German balloon 3d model.

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing but the Balloon mission just seemed a bit less dynamic than I wanted it to be. You just slowly drifted to earth while the Fokkers took pot shots at you before crashing themselves when you landed.

I've got the Early Blimp model to do an FM for so I figured I would get familiar with the setup. I can send the .sm if you would like.

I'm still serious about doing some sort of lod powered negative buoyancy airfoil surface for airships. Does the Airfoil editor make usable modifications to existing airfoil .ppf's?
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please send it my way. Did you also make any changes to the mission? Also, the original balloon has a throttle... Odd I know. Wink

The airfoil editor should pull in existing ppfs just file though I haven't done it in years!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blue_six
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesterBoffo wrote:
Does the Airfoil editor make usable modifications to existing airfoil .ppf's?

Please let us know how you make out with this, LesterBoffo. I've tried off and on, with no success. It used to work fine on my old PC (Windows ME, remember that?) but no dice with XP. Can't recall if I tried using Compatibility Mode, perhaps that's it.

blue six
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No changes to the stock mission. I figured it was enough with the new maneuverable balloon. I can change it if you wish.

Hi Blue Six, The airfoil editor is on a Win98SE machine, so it might work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: