Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Gunner AI in tanks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the fine print at the bottom. 2006, or 2007 ,as I recall. If you read through the thread for later posts, there are a few
minor amendments that may not have been posted.
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drifted through it, and besides the version numbers for some packs no longer being up to date,
the only thing I see in error (no guarantee I'm correct, unfortunately) is that #20 should now be
an empty slot. Others may post to correct me...
Perturabo
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it mean that it will be possible to make the AI gunners attack ground enemies?

Speaking of gunners, it would be nice if there would be whole crew in the tank just as in planes.
Right now I don't see any gunners inside and when the tank starts burning, only the driver gets wounded and he never actually dies.
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perturabo, the answer is yes. For your specific inquiry, I need to know if these tanks you are talking about CVehicle or CAircraft objects (if they are the drivables, then they are CAircraft objects). The test I mentioned in this thread was with CVehicle objects.
Perturabo
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. There were two situations where I saw gunners not shooting anything. One was during the training for Mark IV tanks - there were some enemies shooting at my tanks and I would always get killed when approaching them, so I don't know who it was.

Another was the Mephisto missions, where tanks would just drive through an airfields and ignore AA gun trucks shooting at them.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are drivable tanks, so CVehicle. They are very very old builds, so their AI coding is not as advanced as what we know how to do now. Also, same reason for the other crew members. These had to work on old and slow machines so crew 3d models were kept to a minimum to save on frame rate.

The tanks were made really as a novelty, knowing full well that the AI really couldn't handle them. Still, it makes for some fun missions. Wink

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the WWI mod I take it. I'll unbig those par files and take a look.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in Data15.par. Smile

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivable tanks are : obProto CAircrafts.
In fact I do believe anything drivable was created as a CAircraft object.

The CAircraft AI works great for aircraft. For vehicles they don't work (thats why I decided to make moving vehicles ( that is moving CVehicles). For example AI gunners in CAircraft objects are operational when airborne. However when they are sitting on the ground, runway, tarmat, etc.... they will not engage anything. And since CAircraft only follow waypoints when airborne anyhow (unless at an airfield), I find CVehicles to be an appropiate platform for my madness. Now you could make a player steerable moving CVehicle etc but thats a different topic.

AI gunners in CVehicles do not need to be airborne and will engage what targets are listed in the "cap_set". The cap_set is found in the Classes.ppf. You can modify this set directly in the Classes.ppf, or by using obData in the model sm file.

Currently the cap_set is global. I'm trying to find out if a "class" specific cap_set is possible. If that can be done I will be extremely happy. Now, if anybody who reads this has any influence what so ever on a possible enhancement via a patch to this game, I believe it is exactly in this area where the work should be focused. I make reference to:
http://www.openplanesim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5273

Now how to get those (AI) guns to fire:
1. Modify the cap_set so it includes the class of the target.
2. For the drivable CAircraft objects you need to make at least the firing positions fall under a CVehicle. Remember with CVehicles the gun parameters are in the sm file, not in the loadout.ppf. I have encountered no problems when a CVehicle comes after a root CAircraft in the sm file. The other way around is a CTD. I guess its just a hierarchy thing: CAircraft / CVehicle / CGameobject.

The parameter "aiTargets" in the sm file I have never seen to have any influence.

If I have forgotten something, or I am totally wrong, please correct me.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so what I'm gathering is make an object as a child of the CAircraft dribabel tank and give it a CVehicle property. Then cut/paste the gunners under that, and add in the gun parameters into the SM file under each gunner position?

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the beginning main property set for the AI- A7 tank..

(obDynamic) (obProto 'CVehicle) (obClass 'tank) (aiTargets 'landcraft_set 'seacraft_set 'airplane_set) so you can see the property of an undriveable vehicle, there is a way to operate the guns on these you go into the Sdemons.ini in the SDOE FS-WWI Patch folder and change the entry AllVehicles=0 to AllVehicles=1, of course now you have nearly hundreds of gunners to cycle through in addition to the flyables so it's not without it's drawbacks.
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArgonV: That sums it up in a nutshell. I get a little long winded at times.

LesterBoffo: Good point. The only real solution is a "patch" to make the CAircraft AI guners active whether in the air or on the ground. Perhaps this also is related to following waypoints only when in the air. Maybe it has something to do with some minimal altitude setting?

If we could make the CAircraft AI behave when on the ground (shoot, follow waypoints) things would be really sweet.

That could be the real solution, since the cap_set, sweep_set, and bomb_set targeting work for aircraft.
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I know nothing about this stuff, so this is really shooting in the dark, but how is the origin of the object
determined? I mean, if it needs to think it's in the air, can you make the origin point high above the actual object,
or does it measure its height from the point which contacts the ground?
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point when making the Farman III I had a situation in a training mission where the 'wingman' aircraft had failed to get airborne and had followed the lead aircraft to the first waypoint, but it had afterwards just wandered off into no-mans land and got shot up by the German 'front'.

I'm not sure if that was a fluke or what, as I was tweaking the flight AI, and not really watching what the AI was doing while on the ground.
7mks
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the height is calculated from the origin of the models root lod.

LesterBoffe can you send me that Farman III package?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW I All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: