Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
3D Model Request..

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: 3D Model Request.. Reply with quote

Well this is for FlightGear so it may not be this forum to ask in, but.. I want to reuse the Blenheim MkI's 3D shape as a FlightGear model.

Is this possible with the current status of the SDOE models? Are they OK to use in a GPL, open-source use sim? The original model makers and texture artists will be cited and thanked in the Readme for the model if I can do this.

Thanks.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to export the SM file to AC format, then convert to the format that FlightGear uses. Not sure if the texture mapping would stick either. Also, you'd need permission from the author. I think that was Scorpion Rouge? here is his site: http://scorpion-rouge.pagesperso-orange.fr/pages/accueilpag.html

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm getting a 404 on his page, and IIRC isn't he passed on? Is there anyone who has taken over hosting his models.

The conversion to .ac is already done.
blue_six
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LesterBoffo. Sadly, I believe you may be correct in thinking that Scorpion Rouge has passed away. He took a stroke a number of years ago, and I've been unable to raise him by PM or e-mail since. We worked together on many of his projects. Pretty much all of his completed SDOE work has been rolled into the various PlanePacks that 3dp has assembled. I think SR would be pleased to to think his Blenheim Mk1 was being put to good use, and if you could give him a small credit somewhere that would be sufficient.

blue six
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming this Blue, I'm going to put a small plaque in the cockpit in some obvious place commemorating his work. In my searches it looks like 3dp also did updates to the textures?

What FG will do for this model is give it a slightly wider audience. as it will be seen online and I will make mention of SDOE in the README and the cockpit plaque.

I've got some screenshots of it at LLanbedr, the Welsh RAF airfield that FGUK uses as it's home field. I'd like to extend an invite to those of you wishing to try out FG as we have weekend group flights online.

Last Saturday was Heavy Bomber night, we flew from Manston to Dusseldorf and then Luxembourg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBRSu4EdHs4
PV
Group Captain
Group Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I know nothing of FG, never looked at it before. but I looked at your
vid, and of course my attention was on the terrain. It did not look inspiring.
As FG is open source, I wondered how it was being worked. At flightgear.org,
I read that there is a 3-DVD world terrain. Is that being used on the video?
It looks a bit crude - mostly white urban terrain chopped onto repeating
farmfields. And related, the alto-stratus is visibly repeating. I would have
thought someone would be all over that stuff in an open source sim.

Also, is the rendering being developed - ie shadows, specular reflections, etc?
LesterBoffo
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned it before, that FG's terrain is based on the somewhat cruder 3M satellite imaging data, I forget the correct name, but yeah it's fairly crude, as it just the canvas with a rather rough height mapping.

But it has nice water reflection mapping, including wind driven waves, a nicely detailed terrain surface shader, and real weather fetching from local airport METAR data.

The terrain limitations hasn't stopped folks from adding some pretty nicely detailed airports and cities. The terrain data is changing with an introduction sometime in the future of Corrine world data, which will be much more refined. The weather and sky shading is under constant new development right now, and there's a terrain/object shadowing and ambient lighting/shader/ light mapper coming called Rembrandt that is supposed to improve things to modern sim standards.

FG has it's own SVN terrain data online link called Terrasync, that downloads new terrain data as you fly. It actually it works better if you select an airport from the list while flying in the UFO and just park yourself over the airport location with Terrasync enabled. It takes anywhere from a couple minutes to 10 minutes to get a 10X10 degree chunk of the world terrain in your Terrasync folder, depending on your connection. You can also manually download TGZ's (tarballs) from mirror SVN sites or the GUI terrain website. These tend to be more up to date for scenery and objects, (sometimes..).

Best suggestion is get the first download and try out San Francisco and vicinity and see if you like it. Just a warning though, KSFO is frequented by a lot of Brazilian FG online players and the chatline is heavily Portuguese. Most people will respond in English if asked though.
blue_six
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesterBoffo wrote:
Thanks for confirming this Blue, I'm going to put a small plaque in the cockpit in some obvious place commemorating his work. In my searches it looks like 3dp also did updates to the textures?

Thanks LesterBoffo, that sounds very nice. Yes, I think you're right, 3dp did the new and improved textures.
3dp
Air Commodore - JAG
Air Commodore - JAG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty as charged! Smile
oscar
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion Rouge had a stroke a couple of years ago, and I remember his daughter contacted the community. She told us how much her father had enjoyed the community so I am very confident we can make his work come to further use.
The message from his daughter Caroline ca be read in a post om March 8, 2008, in this forum.
In 2009 we asked around about Scorpion Rouge but no one had any news.
I can see no later news...

His site is still upp and I noticed an e-mail account

cduparcq@libertysurf.fr<cduparcq>;

Is there anyone around who could send him an e-mail IN FRENCH? He or maybe Caroline will hopefully give us an answer
blue_six
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar wrote:
Is there anyone around who could send him an e-mail IN FRENCH? He or maybe Caroline will hopefully give us an answer

Hi oscar, sorry to say I've tried numerous e-mails to that address (in my best southern Albertan French) over the past three or so years, with no reply. There was no indication that the e-mails had bounced, just no answers. I've recently been in contact with our friend Provost, also in France - he plans to attempt to make contact by telephone.

blue six
oscar
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blue_six, for your answer and for your empathy for Scorpion Rouge.
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see SDOE's models in other sims! Happy

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: