Downloads - FAQ - Search - Memberlist - Usergroups  - Register  - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - Log in 
Lots of planes in the sky/General Windows 8 tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phrd1
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Lots of planes in the sky/General Windows 8 tips Reply with quote

Hello to anyone still lurking around!

Two parts to this. Firstly, I know SDOE has never been particularly happy with lots and lots of planes in the sky, but I was wondering that now we all have computers which far exceed the original requirements, what is limiting it? Is it simply that the game engine can't handle it? For me, if I go overboard when creating a mission the first thing I notice is the sound goes funny - engine noises and gun sounds go very weird. This has always happened on my last few laptops. Now, none have been gaming machines by any means, but I'd have thought the sound card would be up to the task?

And on that note, are there any particular tips for getting the best performance on Windows 8 (specifically 8.1)? Everything seems to run fairly smoothly although there are some problems with terrain now and again, especially where the sky meets the ground. The occasional CTD as well, but nowhere near enough to put me off wanting to play.

Hope everyone is well.

Edit - Should add, I'm running 1.6.0.7
ArgonV
Air Marshal - Site Admin
Air Marshal - Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the engine is just not capable of handling the multitude of physics that go on when many planes are in the sky. It doesn't know how to make efficient use of today's multi-threaded CPUs either.

Check here on what I had to say about tweaking SDOE with modern systems:

http://www.openplanesim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5701

And here are some older notes:

http://www.fsww1.com/documentation/Tweaks.html

FS-WWI Plane Pack Site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenPlaneSim Forums Forum Index -> General Discussions WW II All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: